Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: *.Ai and *.eps

Default Re: *.Ai and *.eps

I should clarify. For an .ai version the extension change is fine. I will try on changing an XDP pdf's extension to .eps and see how it loads into AI and get right back...

Ok, again thank you all for your kind and fast reply
    Javier

OK. On my PDF shown in part above, changing the extension to .eps works the same as changing it to .ai.

It was traditional that e-print shops asked for .eps because of the way it read text and carried the font info.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thank you very much for your help, best regards
    Javier

It may be a pain, but I highly recommend physically cutting your shapes in Xara before exporting to Illustrator if you are using masks (Q shortcut) and are outlining the masking object. The reason is that for some reason, somewhere in the translation process, the outline gets lost if you have it on the object that's acting as a mask for other objects.

The alternative is to duplicate the framing object (the one masking the others) and set it behind your object (if possible) and put an extra thick outline on it that creeps out from behind your main image. I ran into this issue working with a client recently. Knowing the quirks of the export/import behavior helps with creating the image in Xara from the get-go without having to go back and tweak/edit the image in Xara after you already made it.

Also, avoid feathering. These tend to get exported as bitmaps as the old Illustrator formats that Xara exports didn't have feather capability. Instead, use simple gradients/transparencies where possible. Illustrator also doesn't support the extended gradient types in Xara either (they'll get turned into bitmaps too).

That's all I've noticed so far. It's workable as long as you have an idea of what Illustrator expects and what Xara thinks Illustrator expects when it spits out an adobe format.

hseiken,
    Thank you very much for your explanation.
    Best regards.
    Javier