Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: How to make a highres logo

Jpg files don't need to be lossy. But then they also lose most of the benefits. Even so, one can have a cmyk jpg file and cannot have a cmyk png. Even with a good degree of compression from an actual image editor, if the high quality option is used in conjunction and the image is not going to opened and resaved, jpg is still a decent option.

I'm so used to using PNG, I forget about CMYK for print..

jpg is crap because you cannot have a alpha channel, your client HAS to specify a background colour if it's jpg, if there's even a slight mismatch between your background and his background you're going to see an ugly box around the logo. If it's PNG then the logo is sharper and you can put it on any background colour but you can't enlarge it and you have cmyk issues. your printer won't have a copy of xara but that's unimportant because if it's a vector exported as pdf any printer can open and place it, you can resize to it to whatever you want, have an alpha channel and put it on any background colour. your client is a numpty send him an 8-bit dithered windows bmp. this is like a bad episode of the office
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

In a CMYK doc you can have some issues with the .png, as Mike stated earlier,and the client stated .jpeg so give him that. Also include, as others have stated, your file in PDF format as it does no harm and makes you look a tad bit more professional. Again mike stated also include b/w coloured file for other areas of your clients work as it hardly adds to your time. To look even better you might include colour definitions in CMYK, rgb and if you can pantone. Sorry I haven't looked at your logo so wouldn't know if you could do pantone. Once finish check how your logo looks in Adobe Reader as you will know colours can look washed out and your client might be disappointed.
    Design is thinking made visual.