Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Document Alignment Question

Now I need one of you brilliant guys or gals to help me figure out what I am doing incorrectly here:

I'm designing a postcard for a client so I need to create a front and a back for this particular piece. I create both images (one for front and one for back) on the same layout, in fact I deleted the first document and created the second on the same layout grid. For some reason, when I go to print both documents, the documents, when I hold them up to a light, they are not aligned. I have checked and double checked my printer, nothing wrong there. And I have even re-created the documents all over again but still these images will not line up correctly. In fact, they are off by as much as two millimeters. I got the exact same problem both times that I created this piece. And correct me if I am wrong, but don't they need to line up in order to print correctly at the printers?

Signed,

Confused Mark

Default Re: Document Alignment Question

Most all consumer printers lack the ability to properly register a front/back piece. They will all be off to one degree or another. Often, the top/bottoms along a long edge will be correct (as correct as possible) but the left/right will be what is off.

It will not be an issue when printing with commercial equipment, assuming the set up is correct. The document should be setup as a two-page document in this instance. Sounds like you are using two separate documents.

I think I figured out what's been happening. My guides that I set up were not completely accurate. when I zoomed all the way in I could see that they were quite off from what I thought was set. But now I have a new question. Is there a "lock guides" command anywhere?

mwenz,

Thank you for your insight. I was creating two postcards on each separate document (two fronts on one document and two backs on the other). Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, I dunno.

I would make on card, front and back in one document, and a second document with its own front/back.

In XDP anyway, one can lock the guides layer.

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    I would make on card, front and back in one document, and a second document with its own front/back.

In XDP anyway, one can lock the guides layer.
    Thank you for that information as I've been looking everywhere for a guides lock and didn't know it was on the layers!