Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Wacom hell.....

Hi,

I just purchased an Intuos2 Wacom tablet, everyone in here was raving about the Wacom tablet's to I gave in and got one for my graphics work and the damn thing keeps getting registered and "seen" as an HID mouse. I have done everything on the Wacom site to try and make Win2000 see it as a tablet but everything so far hasn't worked. I un-install it and attempt to use the disk and load the drivers from it, no go. I attempt to do an Add/Remove Hardware and when I use the Have Disk option and point it to the Drive and highlight the driver and hit OK I get an error window stating that there is no suitable drivers for Windows to install.

I am quite frustrated and I would like to be able to use all the features that the tablet provides. The thing costed me over $300.00 and I'm not about to keep it for that kind of money if the "extras" are not usable. On their site they stated that sometimes there are dll's that are missing and sent me to Microsoft's site to review this page about dll's. So I did as the page said and found that I needed the mapi.dll and the rasapi16.dll, so I went out and acquired them from a couple of sites. One is: http://www.easy-files.com/cgi-bin/sharin/sharin.pl you type in the dll and it gets it for you. Nice.

I don't know if there is a procedure to register them (dll's) in the system or simply drop them into the System32 folder and it works. It didn't work. I guess the Wacom tablets are all 16 bit so I needed those dll.s. Win2000 didn't put those in, which is beyond me, considering that there are still 16 bit apps and hardware around. Dumb.

So if anyone can help please let me know what to do. I am going bonkers and am about to box up this thing and send it back to Gateway. Too bad!!

If you have info and want to E me at my address below feel free.

Thanks people

Richard
    rich1338@furballsmindspring.com
    (remove 'furballs' to send message)

The Stuff that Dreams are Made of
    Is the Stuff that Is our Lives!!
    RAMWolff

Hi,

I just purchased an Intuos2 Wacom tablet, everyone in here was raving about the Wacom tablet's to I gave in and got one for my graphics work and the damn thing keeps getting registered and "seen" as an HID mouse. I have done everything on the Wacom site to try and make Win2000 see it as a tablet but everything so far hasn't worked. I un-install it and attempt to use the disk and load the drivers from it, no go. I attempt to do an Add/Remove Hardware and when I use the Have Disk option and point it to the Drive and highlight the driver and hit OK I get an error window stating that there is no suitable drivers for Windows to install.

I am quite frustrated and I would like to be able to use all the features that the tablet provides. The thing costed me over $300.00 and I'm not about to keep it for that kind of money if the "extras" are not usable. On their site they stated that sometimes there are dll's that are missing and sent me to Microsoft's site to review this page about dll's. So I did as the page said and found that I needed the mapi.dll and the rasapi16.dll, so I went out and acquired them from a couple of sites. One is: http://www.easy-files.com/cgi-bin/sharin/sharin.pl you type in the dll and it gets it for you. Nice.

I don't know if there is a procedure to register them (dll's) in the system or simply drop them into the System32 folder and it works. It didn't work. I guess the Wacom tablets are all 16 bit so I needed those dll.s. Win2000 didn't put those in, which is beyond me, considering that there are still 16 bit apps and hardware around. Dumb.

So if anyone can help please let me know what to do. I am going bonkers and am about to box up this thing and send it back to Gateway. Too bad!!

If you have info and want to E me at my address below feel free.

Thanks people

Richard
    rich1338@furballsmindspring.com
    (remove 'furballs' to send message)

The Stuff that Dreams are Made of
    Is the Stuff that Is our Lives!!
    RAMWolff

Don't give up yet - these tablets ARE brilliant.
    Mine is not the latest (Intuos2) but the installation must be similar.
    First off, is yours a serial or USB version?
    As I remember, with Windows 2000, I just plugged my serial tablet into a vacant port. It was never recognised as new hardware, and didn't (and still doesn't) show in the device manager list.
    Then I ran the Wacom Intuos installation software, which checked both the serial ports, located the tablet and completed the installation. (The latest drivers are on the Wacom site, but I imagine if yours is a recent model, you'll have the latest version anyway).
    Each time Win2K starts, the Tablet driver starts as a service.
    Are you using a standard PS2 mouse? If so, make sure it's still installed and connected.
    Sounds to me more a problem with your Win2k setup than with the tablet.

Chris

Hi Richard,

While not a graphic artist I try to use XaraX and really enjoy reading and viewing all of these posts here. It is amazing what some creative minds can do.

Now to a suggestion. I am using Win2k on three computers and have started standardizing Win2k on client installations. I have found it to be much more stable than Win98SE but if there are any problems I have been able to overcome them with an upgrade to the Service Pack 2. This has solved problems such as yours (16 bit apps) and others and appears to help with either original Win2k installs and with upgrades to Win2k from Win9x original installs. Go to MS site and drill down to the Win2k section and it will then present you with a list of upgrades/updates that it did not find on your computer. You can then proceed to have it install the Service Pack. You might have to do SP1 first, I don't remember that part.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Bill Antonacchio
    CLD Development Corp.

Regards,
    Bill A
    Regards,
    Bill A

Hi Richard,

In addition to what Bill mentioned, there is also a Windows 2000 Compatibility update available at the windows update site. The Service Pack 2 for Win2K fixes several problems and you do not have to have Service Pack 1 install before using it. I maintain about 200 Win2K PCs where I work and find that using the Windows Update site regularly helps reduce the number of problems I run into.

Soquili
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Need I say more. but I will. Getting there was a real #itch!!! I have Service Pack 2 and plenty of RAM (525MG's) and plenty of hard drive space 11.8 GIG's left out of 20 GIG's. and all my NVIDIA TNT II drivers are updated to the wonderful newer one. Wow, I really love my TNT2 now, wonderful breakthrough on quality!!!

Now for the awful part. I was in Wacom IntuosII Hell!! I made a fatal error, I tried to add some files to get the tablet to load the driver, it simply would not, tried EVERYTHING from Wacoms site, from adding missing .dll's to plugging it into the main USB port (instead of my nifty USB hub) to all sorts of other ways. I put in the Windows2000 disk and was going to do a refreasher and I rebooted and it went back to screen where it needed the disk agian, there were some missing files for starting up the machine. One I have Norton and they don't have rescue disks implemented for Win2000 yet, sucks. The Win2000 rescue disks that I made from the Win2000 CD was corrupt, wouldn't you know (floppy #3 to be exact) so I ended up, YUP, reloading the entire machine, I lost ALLOT of downloaded tutorials from this site, all my brushes for XaraX, cookies, new Favorites, settings, you name it. I had backed up on 10/14/2001 so I had MOST of the links and addresses, it's just some of the info for Xara and what not that I lost.

So I don't think it's a good idea to try to use the Win2000 disk to refresh the system if you have applied Service Pack 2 to the system, can't go backwards and I knew that, but I didn't think a little refresher would cause this.

Any way to the good part....I was all set yesterday morning to call up Wacom, very nice folks by the way, I must say!!! But I decided to try one more time..........I inserted the software first, it loaded the drivers and then told me to plug in the tablet to a direct USB port on the machine and then reboot the computer, so I did. I went immedialtely to the Cotrol Panel double clicked on the Wacom icon and WhaaLaa!! Controls, I was SO Happy!!!

I called them up to explain what I had been through and to compliment them on their product. Then something else came up. I also got Adobe Elements with this software bundle, can't use my Kodak camera controls with it. Adobe crashes BIG TIME while that software was on board, so I unloaded all my wonderful Kodak software and the Adobe hummed along. I wrote Adobe about it. This is not good.

Anyone use this product and can it do what photopaint does?? Are there ANY features that wouold make it stand out as a "keeper" or should I un-install it and re-install my Kodak controls??

Well, the story has been told, what a mess, but at least it mostly ended on a happy note [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I created this frame today, use it if you like, I am posting it as a Gif.

RAMWolff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marble_Fancy_Frame_SquareB.gif 
Views:	238 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	9726  
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---