thanks a ton for the info!

Someone mentioned they use DivX - I have all the codecs. But what I don't have installed is DirectX 8.1. Reason: you can't uninstall it. I don't like stuff you can't get rid off if you don't use it anymore.

I'm working more and more with my Linux machine now, because it's a fantastic OS and free. No hassle with a registry, nothing. No blue screen, no forced registration. And if a desktop will crash just hit CTRL+ALT + Backspace and you have the choice of 6 machines on the floor in one computer. Type 'startx' and you'll be back to work in a second.

In addition I've discovered a parallel world which is simply put beautiful. Lots of 3D stuff there. Full blown apps with tons of plug-ins, add-ons etc. A Solid Works clone is around 349 US$ compared to the original which sells for US$ 6.000 (at least here in Europe).

OK, the vector apps are not as great as Xara X, but I've mentioned it many times: if Xara will gain an additional market share, they should port Xara X to Linux.

On the other hand I will be honest: Until today I didn't discover an app like Rhino or Cinema for Linux - not yet, but I had little time the last weeks and I didn't start searching before xmas.

So I'll wait and see what's out there. Now that I am on a DSL connection with a flat rate I can spend more time on my research.

I'll keep you posted if you will be interested. It'll take some time because I'm kind of busy in a totally different area now <sigh>.

Have a real great weekend!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
designer
http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
----------//--