Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Exporting PDF in Xara 10 in CMYK color mode

Hi

Is it possible to export a business card design as a PDF but also in CMYK color mode.

CMYK is the correct mode for printing right?

Default Re: Exporting PDF in Xara 10 in CMYK color mode

Yes. Your profile shows you using P&GD 2013. I have no idea whether it supports CMYK output. Your question inquires about Xara 10, but I don't know what version you mean by that, but Xara Designer Pro can output CMYK.

However, how does the company doing the print desire the card? Some digital print establishments would rather have RGB. For those establishments desiring CMYK PDFs, they should--but many inexpensive establishments don't--tell you what CMYK output profile to use. So do check with whomever is doing the printing as to RGB vs. CMYK, and if they want CMYK, find out if they have a preferred PDF output profile to use. If not, it may be safe to use one of the ISO coated v.2 FOGRA39 profiles in SA. Most anywhere outside the USA can happily use that profile, and the ISO Coated v.2 300 (ECI) (FORGRA39) profile has about the widest gamut that a press can hold (reproduce).

Chances are, if they do not mention what profile to use, the profile will be stripped out/replaced on-site at their establishment.

Mike

Hi Mike

I'm using Xara Photo and Graphics Designer 10.

When exporting to PDF the color model options I get are Native or RGB.

I could have sworn P & GD gave CMYK but I had 11 & 13 but maybe wrong. If it was not over the 13,000 biz cards your local print shop could handle all RGB PDF's and print them fine with their digital printer and get a good reprographic.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Then you need to find a print establishment that will accept rgb pdfs.

Thanks!