Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default G.P's. Tutorials

Three drawings from the tuts. by G.P. The first one, snowman I have posted before but since made some changes. The second is the Rubber Stamp, just added a text line. The third one, Neurones is a really good tut. I learnt a few tricks from this one. It's really worth a browse through the "golden oldies"

Stygg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snowman.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	111636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stamp 2.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	111637  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neurones.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	111638  

Default Re: G.P's. Tutorials

Well done, Stygg. That third one is out of this world. Good tuts, Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Well done, Stygg. That third one is out of this world. Good tuts, Gary.
    They are good tuts. gray, it's surprizing what you can refresh as well as learn new tricks from most of Gary's tuts, and I agree the Neurones is especially good. I will be delving some more into the past 15 years.

Stygg

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    Three drawings from the tuts. by G.P. The first one, snowman I have posted before but since made some changes. The second is the Rubber Stamp, just added a text line. The third one, Neurones is a really good tut. I learnt a few tricks from this one. It's really worth a browse through the "golden oldies"

Stygg
    I appreciate your posting this Sytgg!
    Gary is one of the reasons this product has had the success it has had. He is truly one of the "founders".
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Gary is one of the reasons this product has had the success it has had. He is truly one of the "founders".
    Indeed he is, Ron.

It's unfathomable how Mr. P populated the Xone for 16, count 'em 16 years of unflaggingly terrific tutes for every speed of artist.

-OoG

If we're going to get all touchy feely about Gary P's tutorials I would say that the reason I bought my first license for XDP 6 was due to those tuts. I was pissed at Corel for loosing my previous registration for CD in a crash they had had years before. They were at the time offering an upgrade deal I couldn't take advantage of. So I went on the hunt for a replacement.

Of the applications I tried the trials of, I liked XDP the best. Found the XaraXone and when I completed the first tutorial I tried (the Rubik's cube) I decided to purchase a license. I then sent Gary an email thanking him for all those tuts.

Ok. Touchy feely is over...

For me it was an Event of MindShare, Mike.

Gary and I'd known each other from the Days of the Corel Mafia (Chris Dickman, Dave Huss, et al); I saw a piece of atypical and outstanding art by Og, asked him WTF he used, he told me Corel was licensing Xara, and I called Mike Bellefeue, Cowpland's chum there, and he sent me a comp copy of CorelXARA v 2 or something similar.

Dear Mr. Bellefeue, I know you're not at Corel anymore, but see what you did!?

:)

I think this is the first drawing I did, program right out of the box, didn't read any of the help file:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1995.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	111697

I just did a quick search in my XaraWork (eight characters or less!) folder, and apparently this drawing was 41,000 drawings ago.

And there's still some colors left on the color line!

oOg

I hope Gary got a commission on all those sales.

I first saw CorelXara demoed by Leah Hayman (I think that was her name), one of Corel's product managers in 1996 at Rick Altman's CorelWorld Conference. When she clicked on a photo with the Transparency Tool then dragged a Linear transparency I was hooked.

Corel had just agreed with Xara to "market" Xara. What Corel really had in mind was to cannibalize as many features as they could which then appeared in DRAW 7. After that Corel more or less hid Xara from the public claiming they could only market so many products at a time. Eventually Xara was able to get out of the contract with Corel for which we are all eternally grateful.

Charles Moir saw my transparent light bulb image I had created with Xara and asked to use it for the Tip of the Day.