Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Hosting Xara with Linux (CPanel) or Windows (Plesk)?

Hello. We have been using Xara MX Premium and just acquired but haven't yet used Web Designer 11 Premium.

Which type of hosting account works (best) with Xara MX and Web Designer 11 Premium: Linux (cPanel) or Windows ("Plesk")? I am referring to GoDaddy hosting accounts. We tried to publish a new site with a Windows / Plesk account today, but it didn't work so are now trying a Linux / cPanel account.

Does Xara software run better with Linux?

I hope it's okay to post a link to the site here. We just published it and wonder if anyone in this forum can view it and if so, does it look okay: www.enlightenedcupcake.com If not, any idea what went wrong?

One issue we have encountered occasionally when hosting with GoDaddy is that they use a file called index.html (with an L at the end) and sometimes this conflicts with Xara's index.htm file. Has anyone found a solution for this problem when publishing a site? Or do we have to manually replace the GoDaddy index.itml file with the Xara index.htm file each time we publish or make changes to a site?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Hosting Xara with Linux (CPanel) or Windows (Plesk)?

Your site isn't coming up.

I have used GoDaddy without any issues forever.
    You need to find out which specific folder on your domain you need to put the files into.
    Sometimes, there's a subfolder.
    Also, when I export the site before I publish it, I save it as .html (instead of .htm) and it works fine.
    It doesn't matter which you use, as long as it's consistant, with the files folder that's created that holds the site files (index_html_files).

As far as Linux vs. Windows, for basic sites, it really doesn't matter. If you are using other add-ons, forums, stores, etc., it might.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ View Post
    You need to find out which specific folder on your domain you need to put the files into.
    Sometimes, there's a subfolder.
    Also, when I export the site before I publish it, I save it as .html (instead of .htm) and it works fine.
    It doesn't matter which you use, as long as it's consistant, with the files folder that's created that holds the site files (index_html_files).
    How does one know which specific folder on the domain should contain the files? We assumed Xara saves them where they need to be.

It seems likely that saving the site as .html might solve the problem. How do you save the site as .html? If there's a YouTube video of this, please post a link.

Thanks.

Hi Laurie, tried to open your site and it says coming soon

Ciao

Roly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	111632
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    How does one know which specific folder on the domain should contain the files? We assumed Xara saves them where they need to be.

It seems likely that saving the site as .html might solve the problem. How do you save the site as .html? If there's a YouTube video of this, please post a link.

Thanks.
    Call GoDaddy support and they'll tell you if it isn't in the documents you got when you signed up.
    Sometimes you need to save to a subfolder.
    As far as exporting the site as .html first, click the icon up top in the attached image, and save it to a folder as index.html and it will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin_AZ View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	111632
    Sometimes you need to save to a subfolder.
    As far as exporting the site as .html first, click the icon up top in the attached image, and save it to a folder as index.html and it will do it.
    You are correct. It's working now. We needed to upload the files to the public_html subfolder. When I spoke with GoDaddy yesterday, they said a subfolder path wasn't needed :-(

I read on Go Daddy's "Getting Started Wizard" page that it's fine for the index file to be named "index.htm" so we didn't need to rename it. Although not an issue, I'm still curious about how to rename a file while using "Export". When exporting, the files upload; we don't see an option to rename during export.

Thanks for your help!

Although not an issue, I'm still curious about how to rename a file while using "Export". When exporting, the files upload; we don't see an option to rename during export.
    Depends how you 'export' the site. Xara has 2 options:

1: File / Export Website opens a folder on your hard drive to export the site to.

2: File / Publish Website opens the ftp window allowing you to ftp the site from within Xara.

In option 1 it will prompt you to save the site as index.htm but you can simply change this to index.html and it will export the site with the 4 letter extension to you local folder where you can use Filezilla or similar to ftp it to your server.

In option 2 there doesn't appear a means to do this renaming, it seems to the default index.htm. However if you export to local drive index.html and then go via option 2 Xara appears to remember your file extension options and ftp's index.html & index_html_files to the server.

This also works for a site without using index as the default name, such that exporting as egg.html and then publishing export egg.html and all the other pages as xxxxx.html and creates an egg_html_folder.

Not apparently very usefull at first but could be handy if having to create a site that has a lot of external links to an older index.html file as index htm wont cut the mustard. I often like to create subfolders using more meaningful names other than index.

However I don't see any other method to change the name or extension without going via the Export path first.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Many thanks for this detailed and helpful reply!

So I was searching for the answer to the question of Hosting Xara with Linux (CPanel) or Windows (Plesk) as I am ready to get a host for my sight. I cam across this discussion that does not actually answer the question.

So is there a recommendation. My site is very simple but over time I expect it to evolve into a web store.

Also, I have not been able to find any real information about Xara Web Hosting. I would consider this if it makes since. Any links to hosting information?

Thanks, Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Cox View Post
    So I was searching for the answer to the question of Hosting Xara with Linux (CPanel) or Windows (Plesk) as I am ready to get a host for my sight. I cam across this discussion that does not actually answer the question.
    So is there a recommendation. My site is very simple but over time I expect it to evolve into a web store.
    Also, I have not been able to find any real information about Xara Web Hosting. I would consider this if it makes since. Any links to hosting information?
    Thanks, Steven
    Steven, avoid Xara web hosting; yuo don't own it and it doesn't support server scripting, to my knowledge. My preference would be cpanel but it may just be down to personal preference.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat