Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Xara photo and graphics designer help needed

Help needed...
    I just got started using Xara Photo and Graphics Designer 11. I then found a YouTube Tutorial on creating an alarm clock using ...Video title is: "Xara Designer Pro 6 alarm clock."

And after many attempt to just create the pin wheel pattern used for making the minutes pattern for the clock.

I can not for the life of me figure out how the pattern was accomplished.

Recreating the clock is a future goal, but for now I would just like to know how to start with two vertical lines. And end up the 360-degree pin-wheel design. I have some ideas for incorporating that design into other things.

But right now I am stuck, and the person doing the video gave no verbal explanations as to how it was done.

I am attaching a jpg highlighting what I am hoping to learn about.

Thanks for any and all help you can give.

gman127
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clock pinwheel QnA.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	111510  

Info Re: Xara photo and graphics designer help needed

There are so many ways...

Simplest?
    1. Use the Shape Tool (F4) and draw a constrained vertical line (hold done the Ctrl key).
    2. Change to the Select tool (V), keeping the line selected.
    3. Clone (Ctrl+K) the line.
    4. In the rotate angle box, type 6 and press the Enter key.
    5. Repeat Steps 3 & 4 until you have 30 lines.
    6. Centre a shorter white circle on top.

Any simpler ways in TG land?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Xara photo and graphics designer help needed

Hi gman 127, welcome to TG. Here's an alternative to Acorns method. Not a better method, just an alternative one:

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Info Re: Xara photo and graphics designer help needed

My normal way:

1. Select the QuickShape too (Shift+F2) and draw a shape.
    2. Change the number of sides to 60.
    3. Drag any of the inner control points to the centre.
    4. Set the line width as required.
    5. Slap a white circle over the top.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

In addition to the instructions provided, here is another alternative.
    1 Draw your vertical line.
    2 In the utilities/options menu, set the constraint angle to 6 degrees or any other angle you wish the object snapping to align.
    3 With the line selected/ rotation handles showing, hold down ctrl and right click while dragging to create a new line, rotation will snap in 6 degree increments or whatever you set in the options menu.
    Repeat step 3 until you finish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line rotation.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	111514  

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    There are so many ways...

Simplest?
    1. Use the Shape Tool (F4) and draw a constrained vertical line (hold done the Ctrl key).
    2. Change to the Select tool (V), keeping the line selected.
    3. Clone (Ctrl+K) the line.
    4. In the rotate angle box, type 6 and press the Enter key.
    5. Repeat Steps 3 & 4 until you have 30 lines.
    6. Centre a shorter white circle on top.

Any simpler ways in TG land?

Acorn
    I really appreciate your helping me understand how to utilize the Xara P&G designer 11 features and tools. This is my first time posting to the Talkgraphic's forum.

The level of knowledge & expertise of forum members is awesome. Thanks again for the prompt replies and assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Hi gman 127, welcome to TG. Here's an alternative to Acorns method. Not a better method, just an alternative one:

Thanks, for the video. I was just what the doctor order. Hope you don't mind that I downloaded it to my personal Xara training materials folder.
    Series or Version 11...is the first time I started to view/or use Xara P&G Designer it as my goto graphics resource. And thanks to your
    expert help. I can actually see myself creating my own graphic designs. Thanks again, you guys ROCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bailey View Post
    In addition to the instructions provided, here is another alternative.
    1 Draw your vertical line.
    2 In the utilities/options menu, set the constraint angle to 6 degrees or any other angle you wish the object snapping to align.
    3 With the line selected/ rotation handles showing, hold down ctrl and right click while dragging to create a new line, rotation will snap in 6 degree increments or whatever you set in the options menu.
    Repeat step 3 until you finish.

Many thanks for your knowledgeable assistance with the Xara P&G Designer 11, alarm clock creation problem. Although, I have been a
    patron of Xara software product for more than a year, and have use it to build websites. I still found myself extremely frustrated when
    it came to using the product. But this latest version showed a lot promise...especially in it's ability to handle Vector file extensions.

Thanks a bunch for the expert assistance with this issue. Your alternative method was what I tackled first. It worked like a charm.