Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trouble upgrading to Designer 10

For years I have stuck with Designer Pro X but today I received an offer to upgrade to 10 at a savings. Did just that, went thru the entire download, activation code & serial number ordeal. But when I finished the new version loads, but an Error message appears on screen stating unable to load download file. C:\user...10cach\designs\eng\catindex.tmp. message received from server.

Thus there are NO template files showing up, screen is entirely white full across the pane. Don't know whether to take it all off and reload, or wait for the program disc to arrive then put it on and try again. Any suggestions welcome. I sent a ticket to XARA but no replay as yet. I am thinking if this new update fails I can get a refund if I don't let too much time pass. Heck the old version suited me fine for what I needed, but thought creating web site that would adjust to smart phones, tablets etc. might be in order.

Default Re: Trouble upgrading to Designer 10

A couple of threads on here suggesting there is a server error at the moment @Xara ... stuff from the Design Gallery doesn't load for instance.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I guess you mean that you upgraded to XDP 11 (rather than 10). ...... (deleted remainder message).

As was stated at the time I was upgrading to Designer 10 premium the server was down. After it was fixed my new software seemed to finish upgrading automatically just fine. After creating some web pages and trying to publish to the web, it will not happen. There is a different looking info page to fill out with FTP info etc. I filed it out, click publish and it seems to go thru the sequence, but noting goes on the web. When trying to repeat the publish function I click on publish and receive error message "Attempted an unsupported operation." I can load the web site creation on my old Designer Pro X and it works. I am just looking for a fix. Wonder if I need to reload the new 10 program that might have a bug of some sorts from when I first downloaded it when the server was down? In my mind I am starting to think it's a good idea not to buy into all the new updates, just cause XARA keeps shelling them out. Any help appreciated,

...Designer 10 premium ...
    That would be Web Designer 10 premium and Designer Pro X you're talking about, that would not be an upgrade in my eyes. They have made it confusing!! It's possible that creating the site with DP means something not supported by WD has happened. DP is all the Xara products in one, WD is a subset of this - DP will accept everything from WD, but not the other way round ... most things are OK but some are not.

Because you can publish from DP and because of the error "Attempted an unsupported operation" I suspect this might be the situation.
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I suspect Zaphodeist is right but first off lets figure out for sure what version you "upgraded" to. Open your new program and up in the top left corner it will give you the full name of your program tell us what is says there, type it out fully If it says Xara web designer premium 10 or 11 then you have actually downgraded to just a web site version. And the only fix would be to upgrade back up to designer Pro (and you may have to go to 11)

If you do have Designer Pro then you will probably have to open a ticket with Xara Support
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    I guess you mean that you upgraded to XDP 11 (rather than 10). ...... (deleted remainder message).
    NO, I upgraded one level from my older version Designer Pro X..... to Web Designer 10 premium. NOT XDP 11

Web Designer Pro X was before, i bought Designer 10 premium............... confusing is your comment that it was not an upgrade. I know there is also a 11 that is above what I purchased. Your comment "DP is all the XARA products in one, and WD is a subset" makes me confused for sure. I have been using XARA for years and received all the functionality with each version and it all worked for me. Maybe I am going to remove the newer 10 premium which I downloaded while their server was acting up. Then use my CD they sent me to reinstall and see if that helps. Hope that helps .............you.

Sorry, I'm not trying to confuse you [Xara do a good job with their naming imho :-) ]

These links may help

http://www.xara.com/uk/products/

http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/compare/

You see, "Web Designer Pro X" doesn't exist. It's either Designer Pro or Web Designer premium.

Designer Pro [the number is irrelevant atm] is the top of Xara's range and it includes all that is in Web Designer Premium plus Page & Layout Designer plus Photo & Graphic Designer plus some extras.

I'm not being pedantic, but if you could tell us the actual products involved it would help solving the problem

:-)

Zaphodeist....Sorry to take up time on the forum. I have removed the upgrade D 10 premium, reloaded it from the disc that arrived today, and things are up and running. Even the top portion of the program now shows the file menus that were not there from the original download. All this was caused by the server glitch they were having the night some of us were downloading files. If there is a way to post a picture on this forum let me know. I have a 478 page manual from XARA and the CD for that version you say does not exist. Written on the cover in large letters. XARA designer pro X. copyright 2012. No big troubles I will survive and keep on learning XARA software.