Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting a price

Default Re: Setting a price

Wow, what good points expressed here.
    Egg, I am going to do it in xara that's the only way I can do it, I completely agree with the fact that all your work will be as good as the original photo, it never can be better, with the size of today's photos I really don't understand why somebody wants to have a vector but some people say you need it to resize it to any size but it is not totally true because at least in xara you have a lot of problems to do it, every time I want to export huge designs, the error message appears, but anyway if somebody wants a vector I'll create vector.
    I really appreciate your opinions they are really useful for me.
    Best regards.
    Javier

Hi Javier sorry to be the last one here to offer advice but been away for a week. Right your going to make it like a photo using Xara. My first question to the client would be are you going to print it? and where. If they say well every where, on T shirts, on posters and in brochures then you ask what type of printing. It would be terrible if all your work couldn't be exported to CMYK but it is a fact that you could tie yourself in knots trying to get your photo type vector drawing to be printed in a CMYK situation if you use a number of RGB effects in Xara. As you know loads of Xara transparencies, shadows and many other effects will give you bitmaps when you export it to PDF and they can give you problems if you have no control who prints it and how. Many times I have used .tiff files instead of using PDF because of the drawing I was doing. Also a few times I have said that I would be better doing this in Illy instead of Xara and this is from a moderator! It's all the usual things that mount up the colour shift from RGB to CMYK but most folk can sort that out with a little bit of work.

Now I haven't talk about money here yet but I have never got the hours that I put into a job out. Most times in this situation you end up working, I am not being racist here so please nobody take offence, for Pakistani money rather than dollars or pounds. Sorry to be such a downer but that is why I stopped doing these type of jobs. But that's me that might not be you. If Gary P sees this thread he might come in and give you some more advice on how he got his stereoscopic work into print as he uses loads of bitmaps in his work and he has loads of things published. You could even PM him as he always loves to help.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Jvila, did you come to an agreement?

No need to tell anyone what it was, or what you charged.

Paul