Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Locked out of Xara DP11 once again!

+1
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

+1

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Even without the issues a few of you have had, I think this protection scheme is nuts. Which I have maintained from the start. I seriously doubt the legality of it. It's perpetual license for crying out loud. Keeping someone from legitimately utilizing the software for any amount of time is frankly ludicrous. I hope and pray I don't face the problem.
    I am typing this on cell phone so will be brief. Locked out yet again from dp11 today. Tried to open file dp7 but msg informs trial version expired even though correct sn shows. This just gets worse!

Hi Phill,

Have you sent a ticket into us? If not, could you do so (http://support.xara.com) and let me know the ticket number when you have sent it? We have some questions about your local setup and some tests that you could run so we can identify the cause of the issue.

Many thanks
    Rob

I'm sorry, but the Xara copy protection method has me reconsidering using it for any professional project. I love the program and have used it on hundreds of work projects since X1, but the possibility of being locked out at any time is unacceptable. (I've been locked out during system upgrades before, and someone from Xara has gotten back to me fairly quickly each time. But such a small team could easily be unavailable at just the wrong moment...) My primary customer is a huge corporation that would have zero tolerance for delays related to my software locking me out... I can't even imagine trying to explain such a thing to them.

Please find an alternative to your 'always on, immediate total lock out' copy protection scheme. It only puts your loyal customers in peril, and does little if anything to slow down thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by tovokas View Post
    I'm sorry, but the Xara copy protection method has me reconsidering using it for any professional project. I love the program and have used it on hundreds of work projects since X1, but the possibility of being locked out at any time is unacceptable. (I've been locked out during system upgrades before, and someone from Xara has gotten back to me fairly quickly each time. But such a small team could easily be unavailable at just the wrong moment...) My primary customer is a huge corporation that would have zero tolerance for delays related to my software locking me out... I can't even imagine trying to explain such a thing to them.

Please find an alternative to your 'always on, immediate total lock out' copy protection scheme. It only puts your loyal customers in peril, and does little if anything to slow down thieves.
    I have not had any problems so I cannot comment directly on what I would do. I do have my Xara applications on two separate machines. If I had a large corporation to support, I would have another copy available or buy one to protect my reputation or contract. You probably still have earlier versions back to XDPX9 that could be leveraged into place.

While you can criticise Xara's protection scheme, don't give up on your trust in the product itself.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I just upgraded my other machine with an SSD and forgot to unregister DPX11 beforehand. On restarting with the cloned disk all I noticed was that it is now much faster - XDP11 was otherwise unaffected. I can't help feeling that the problems that some users are having are down to 'unusual' Windows setups. This may indicate that the Xara protection scheme is sensitive to some of the very things that make our machines "Ours" and which have made Windows such a huge success. That would be ironic because we trust Xara to enable our creativity, yet our creativity in crafting the environment it runs in threatens to make it untrustworthy.

I hope we find out soon just what is making both of the OP's machines so incredibly unreliable with the Xara protection.

Following my latest complaint to Xara regarding not being able to activate my older version DP7 after my current v11 locked me out for the umpteenth time. It took Xara several days to respond and activate. During the meantime I was able to use XP 11 on the pc at my house. However, the inconvenience of not being able to open a file on any version of Xara at my office at that time is very bad for business, both theirs and mine. About a month has passed since without a total lockdown BUT there have been 2 other times when reactivation has been requested but these have only happened when there has been no internet or weak connection. That has to tell me that every time Xara is opened it "phones home" and if that cannot complete then I'm out of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydear View Post
    I just upgraded my other machine with an SSD and forgot to unregister DPX11 beforehand. On restarting with the cloned disk all I noticed was that it is now much faster - XDP11 was otherwise unaffected. I can't help feeling that the problems that some users are having are down to 'unusual' Windows setups. This may indicate that the Xara protection scheme is sensitive to some of the very things that make our machines "Ours" and which have made Windows such a huge success. That would be ironic because we trust Xara to enable our creativity, yet our creativity in crafting the environment it runs in threatens to make it untrustworthy.

I hope we find out soon just what is making both of the OP's machines so incredibly unreliable with the Xara protection.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydear View Post

there again, as you are allowed to have DPX11 activated on two computers at the same time - that may be what happened and you now have the same computer activated as two separate configurations, and you would be out of luck the next time

way to check is to log onto your account at xara.com - if your original computer configuration is still registered you can deregister it there

sorry _ I misread your post; a cloned disk then may still count as the same computer - a repartitioned disk does not - and disk partitioning is a standard windows feature, it is not 'unusual' ...

Quote Originally Posted by Phill
    That has to tell me that every time Xara is opened it "phones home" and if that cannot complete then I'm out of luck!
    maybe the new 365 version will be better in this respect... but I am not going to trial that until designer pro 365 comes out
    Last edited by handrawn; 02 May 2016 at 09:20 AM. Reason: mis-read
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Totally annoying you are not on your own I have x11 installed I have had to contact Xara 3 times to have them de activate just so I can reactive on the same PC without any changes