Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Locked out of Xara DP11 once again!

Quote Originally Posted by jaydear View Post
    I'd like to hear more about this 30 day lockout punishment from Xara. I just upgraded the hard disk in the laptop I'm currently using to a Samsung EVO850 SSD. I did deactivate XDPX11 before doing so and as far as I know successfully reactivated it after I ascertained that everything was running OK. I'm supportive of Xara XDPX11 because I think the price is reasonable for the innovative features included. However, I absolutely do NOT like the idea of any legitimate user randomly being locked out for 30 days for some as yet unexplained breach of the (unwritten?) rules. I really don't get what the Xara programmer/s had in mind when including this undocumented 30 day lockout 'feature' and I think we all deserve to have their logic explained to us.

I've used CorelDRAW for many years and have never had any issues when changing computers and it is arguably more up-market than Xara's competing product. What if a computer fails without giving an opportunity to deactivate? It seems the license is then in some sort of limbo and that it can randomly lock the user out, even after a supposedly successful reactivation.

I'm sure that Xara want to wring every drop of profit out of their hard work, but to do it by aggravating legitimate users whose Xara licences are already at the mercy of Microsoft with their aggressive Windows 10 push and PC hardware that can quit without warning is, in my opinion, a huge error of judgement
    Hi jaydear,

OT: Funny thing is that I also upgraded to a Samsung EVO850 SSD - talk about speed in boot time! Best upgrade I ever did.

I'm not sure I understand your post (I'm also very tired!). Are you having problems with your program after deactivating or do you mean you where "locked out" and had to contact support to lock you in again?

Regarding the activation waiting time:
    There is a possibility that this fact is actually printed in the manual, but I can't seem to find it. That doesn't mean that it's not there (or somewhere else!). All I can say is that I didn't know about it before running into my "activation hickups" and tried to solve my problems.

/Phono
    Last edited by Phono; 08 February 2016 at 04:32 AM.

Yes, the EVO is a big improvement!

I haven't been locked out so far, but I am concerned about it happening because there have now been several instances of it in this thread and it seems that Xara have a bug in their copy protection scheme

Hi Phono,

If you have sent a ticket can you let me know what the ticket ID is and I can look into this for you?

If you haven't sent a ticket, can you send me a PM with your email address so I can lookup your details on our system and see what is happening?

Thanks
    Rob

Hi Rob,
    I have a ticket and the ID is #WBH-160-15888.
    /Phono

I reinstalled Win7 on my laptop, went to the Xara website, deregistered Xara from that laptop, just installed xdpx11 on the laptop, registered, activated, no problémo. Seems legit
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    I reinstalled Win7 on my laptop, went to the Xara website, deregistered Xara from that laptop, just installed xdpx11 on the laptop, registered, activated, no problémo. Seems legit
    Hi Big Frank,
    Yes, that's how it's suppose to work, but...well....you know.
    /Phono

(Still waiting for a life sign from support, btw.)

Hi Phono,

Your ticket was replied to shortly after you sent it. From the looks of it, it appeared as a simple case of forgetting to deactivate after changing Hard Drives and needing us to deactivate it for you, which was done.

If you haven't received the reply email, try looking in your spam box or logging into the support system and viewing your tickets there.

If you are still having problems, please feel free to reply to the ticket and we will look into this for you.

Thanks
    Rob

Well, looks like I spoke to soon. After I de-activated my old laptop and activated the new Windows install on the same laptop I went to my desktop PC (on which Xara had worked fine before the laptop re-install) and I now get this message:

You can deactivate an unused device once a month.

Sorry, you cannot deactivate at the moment because you have already used this function within the permitted time period.

Next possible date for deactivating a device for this product: 08/03/2016
    You can ONLY deactivate an unused device once a month???

(I have written the above in Comic Sans because I couldn't think of a more disgusting font for my rant)

What Einstein at Xara thought there'd be NO chance of a user have a problem with a PC and a laptop in the same month???

IS IT ANY SURPRISE PEOPLE GO HUNTING FOR CRACKED SOFTWARE???

yes, fine, rant over, i'll open a support ticket blah blah blah
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

My problems in being able to open Xara DP11 still continue. However, I have not been denied activation, nor required to wait several weeks before using the program. The most frequent error message on opening Xara is to the effect that my hardware might have changed and my licence needs to be checked before I am able to use program.
    On some occasions I have not had a good internet connection and have to wait until I do. Today so far it has happened twice but I was able to "re validate the license"
    straight away. I would emphasize that there have been absolutely NO hardware changes whatever, nor has any new software been added. Today I have not had even a Windows update since the same thing happened before. I thought it was only happening because of the internet connection but that is not always the case. I believe that the program contains some code to have it phone home on a regular basis.

I am in the graphic arts business and have learned that I cannot rely on Xara to work on a regular basis. For the last few months I no longer have been using Xara to create new content/files because of this extreme unreliability, but I still need to use it from time to time to correct and change existing files as I have not found a way to import/place them into InDesign to the point where I can easily make changes.

Even without the issues a few of you have had, I think this protection scheme is nuts. Which I have maintained from the start. I seriously doubt the legality of it. It's perpetual license for crying out loud. Keeping someone from legitimately utilizing the software for any amount of time is frankly ludicrous. I hope and pray I don't face the problem.