Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Locked out of Xara DP11 once again!

Quote Originally Posted by nobbyy View Post
    Hi Phono

The problem you mentioned was mine. I dont think that Xara have solved it as yet, but the workaround was to issue me with an additioanal license number so that one was linked to my laptop wifi access and the other to my wifi Lan - not ideal but it works for me.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Thanks nobbyy! Yes, lets hope Xara fix this as soon as possible.

The thing with software problems in creative work is that you feel a bit reluctant to use the program altogether. It gets in your head, killing your muse. It's like having a paint brush with the head falling off while you're working! I totally understand peoples sometimes extreme frustration with these kind of...um..."irregularities". I'm very far from frustrated myself, but I am a little concerned...
    /Phono

If I uninstall DP11 completely and reinstalled it - would that be considered a third installation?
    The two activation "slots" we can use are linked to the number of different computers, not the number of installations on each of these two computers, am I right?
    /Phono

Quote Originally Posted by Phono View Post
    If I uninstall DP11 completely and reinstalled it - would that be considered a third installation?
    The two activation "slots" we can use are linked to the number of different computers, not the number of installations on each of these two computers, am I right?
    /Phono
    From, the Help:
    This software can be activated by one user on two computers. It is possible to cancel an activation when it is no longer required, freeing it for use on another computer (select the Deactivate program option in the Help menu).
    This means you can have it on a workstation and a laptop. You ten are travelling light so de-activate the program on the workstation and activate on a third machine somewhere else. When returning, de-activate the temporary machine and re-activate on the original workstation.
    Equally, when upgrading to W10 on your laptop, de-active first, update and then re-activate.

Relatively simply but does require the Internet.
    Compare this with one machine - one licence.
    I can cope with Xara wishing to protect its property and I appreciate the licence covering use on two computers, one at a time, by me.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    From, the Help:

This means you can have it on a workstation and a laptop. You ten are travelling light so de-activate the program on the workstation and activate on a third machine somewhere else. When returning, de-activate the temporary machine and re-activate on the original workstation.
    Equally, when upgrading to W10 on your laptop, de-active first, update and then re-activate.

I can cope with Xara wishing to protect its property and I appreciate the licence covering use on two computers, one at a time, by me.

Acorn
    Acorn,
    There seems to be an misunderstanding...
    The reason I ask is that I can't get Xara Web Developer 11 to start every time on my second computer. After a reboot the program lets me in. Sometimes, anyway. (Read a more detailed post about it on page 5).
    I figured if I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it again, the problems might go away. I thought I'd ask before tampering, hence my question.

So, a reinstall (on the exact same computer, same license, same software), is that considered a third activation or not?

All the best
    Phono

Acorn,
    There seems to be an misunderstanding...
    The reason I ask is that I can't get Xara Web Developer 11 to start every time on my second computer. After a reboot the program lets me in. Sometimes, anyway. (Read a more detailed post about it on page 5).
    I figured if I uninstalled the software and reinstalled it again, the problems might go away. I thought I'd ask before tampering, hence my question.

So, a reinstall (on the exact same computer, same license, same software), is that considered a third activation or not?

All the best
    Phono
    Phono, the cyccle of de-activate, un-install, re-install and activate is the use of one licence - it is immaterial what device you use as it is the activation of the licence that is being counted.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, phono missed out on the de-activation. I guess the uninstallation doesn't automatically call Xara to de-activate.

That needn't be a problem if the installer detects the activation record on the computer.

Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Acorn, phono missed out on the de-activation. I guess the uninstallation doesn't automatically call Xara to de-activate.
    That needn't be a problem if the installer detects the activation record on the computer.
    Who knows?
    I thought the discussion was around Phono's second computer that requires a reboot occasionally.

Acorn

I've just found this thread after posting this in another part of the forum:

"Hi!

I have Web Designer Premium installed on two computers, but on one of them the program do not always start. The thing is, I've upgraded that computer with a SSD and didn't deactivate the program before cloning my harddrive over to the new SSD. The program didn't start as it saw my new SSD as a third activation, so I deactivated the program afterwards and it seemed to work - the program started. The day after it didn't, saying that I've maxed out on activations. When I logged in to my account I saw the correct two computers activated, so that was correct. I then contacted support who worked their magic, and the program was starting again. Then it stopped working again...
    Just to test things out I tried restarting my computer after making sure the program didn't feel like opening, and then it's working again!

In some way the program sees my second computer as a third activation when "calling home", but (and this is strange) not always."

Not exactly the same problem, but perhaps similar... I thought I was the only one on the planet with this kind of hickup.

All the best
    Phono
    Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    From, the Help:

Acorn
    First, thank you all for your responses!

But, the plot has thickened... (Can you say that in English?)
    As it turns out I am not able to preview the project files I made before upgrading to Web Developer 11. Something has happened with my program. I think i need to re-install whether I like it or not.

From help inside the program:

XARA WEB DESIGNER 11 PREMIUM END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT ("EULA")
    You will be issued with a unique serial number. An internet connection is required to activate the serial number and to complete the necessary one-time registration. The Software can only be activated on two computers concurrently, but activations that are no longer required can be cancelled so that you can install and activate the software on a new computer.

However, according to support this deactivate/activate procedure is also limited in such a way that you have to wait a month before activating one of the licenses again. So it is not as simple as one might think - you also have to consider WHEN to do this so you don't run the risk of locking yourself out for a month on one computer.

Maybe I'm blind, but I cannot find this fact printed in the manual.

Sure, support can help to unlock it before that, but...well... It would feel better to use support for more serious problems rather than user inconveniances created as a result of a activate/de-activate timelock. Naturally, a company has every right to protect their product in every way they see fit, but when it doesn't seem to function correctly and by that clashes with "user reality", I'm not convinced the implementation of the said protection is all that reasonable. To be clear: the procedure of activating/de-activating is not a problem in any way, shape or form. But the timelock is, as I see it.

Enough about my personal views and reflections on implementation of software protection!
    Back to the krux of the matter...

Here's what I'm planning to do to try to solve my problem on my second computer:
    1. Uninstall Web Developer 11 Premium, WITHOUT deactivating, making sure everything is totally clean. Really clean.
    2. Reboot and install again.
    3. Start the program and see what happens, if it works or not.
    4. Report back.

How's that? Perhaps it'll work and we all learn something new? At least I have the program functioning on my other computer. I can live with that if I must - it truly is a fabulous software!

Yours sincerely,
    Phono

I'd like to hear more about this 30 day lockout punishment from Xara. I just upgraded the hard disk in the laptop I'm currently using to a Samsung EVO850 SSD. I did deactivate XDPX11 before doing so and as far as I know successfully reactivated it after I ascertained that everything was running OK. I'm supportive of Xara XDPX11 because I think the price is reasonable for the innovative features included. However, I absolutely do NOT like the idea of any legitimate user randomly being locked out for 30 days for some as yet unexplained breach of the (unwritten?) rules. I really don't get what the Xara programmer/s had in mind when including this undocumented 30 day lockout 'feature' and I think we all deserve to have their logic explained to us.

I've used CorelDRAW for many years and have never had any issues when changing computers and it is arguably more up-market than Xara's competing product. What if a computer fails without giving an opportunity to deactivate? It seems the license is then in some sort of limbo and that it can randomly lock the user out, even after a supposedly successful reactivation.

I'm sure that Xara want to wring every drop of profit out of their hard work, but to do it by aggravating legitimate users whose Xara licences are already at the mercy of Microsoft with their aggressive Windows 10 push and PC hardware that can quit without warning is, in my opinion, a huge error of judgement

Hi,
    New findings:
    When WD11 wont start I'm able to get around this in two different ways; either by rebooting and try again or by simply disabling Internet, start the program and then enabling Internet again.

All the best
    Phono