Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Tracing this drawing

Hi

whats the best way for me to replicate this drawing?
    Last edited by gwpriester; 15 December 2015 at 12:57 PM. Reason: copyrighted image removed by moderator

Default Re: Tracing this drawing

I had to remove the posted image because it is a copyrighted image.

Since the image is made up of circles, I would create a circle, duplicate and resize the circles to match the drawing. Use the Color Picker to sample and match the colors.

This brings up another point. Since the image you are "copying" is being offered from www.Shutterstock.com, the honest thing to do is to license a low resolution version of the image. Their fees are very small. Then you can breathe easier.

Thanks! You're right - I will purchase the image instead.

This raises an important point about copyrighted material.

In most cases, for private study, one could trace a copyrighted work.
    There is, however, no percentage of a copyrighted work that could be included as one's own work if it can be demonstrated that the core concept has been copied.
    Copyrighted material can be part of your inspiration, not part of your work.

A fair use challenge comes into play where the originator could possibly show loss of earnings through your copy.

I take my own photos, I design my own sites, I seek out graphics that can be copied, I use my own inspiration (from looking at others' work).

You could trace a monkey from a photo as its features and not copyrightable; ethically, the composition is what you are lifting so don't do it.

The nearest analogy I can think of is I put a Zippo® lighter on eBay and erroneously mentioned it was Zippo-like; the company's lawyers jumped on this within hours. I changed the description and all was sweet.
    Think of the fun your clients might have it your built a site with copyrighted material.

Artifex cave,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat