Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

video Can't see web animation

Hi, there everyone
    Hope you're getting into the Christmas spirit of things?
    I am plowing my way through the features of Designer Pro 11 and am enjoying it a lot, but with web design I am a bit lost. This morning I imported an MP4 into a web page just to try it out. It displays perfectly when I preview it online, but I can't see it in Designer Pro. I just have a blank page. I guess I need to have a place holder for it or something like that to edit it? When I hover over the top of the page, an edit/widget feature appears, but I am not permitted to use it. A bell goes off telling me it's a no-no Is there someone in here who could advise on the necessary steps, please?
    Also, I stumbled on the Xara online designer yesterday. I have registered, but cannot figure out where to access Dropbox from within Designer Pro? I have gotten a notification from Dropbox saying that the two apps are linked, so it should be set up correctly. Does anyone know how I access Dropbox? Does this feature help with the loading speed of the site?
    Finally (I promise this will be the last question for now!!!) I got a bit confused yesterday, because I was looking at a tutorial on youtube for the web design features and the presenter said that the web design features are mostly for personal use meaning that you cannot build a full website in Designer Pro? Is that correct? I seem to recall that it said on the Xara homepage that the web designs can be incorporated with WordPress, Drupal, and the likes?
    That was A LOT of questions, I apologize, but I just cannot find the answers anywhere else
    Thank you all in advance.
    Kind regards
    Linda
    Last edited by creativemac; 06 December 2015 at 10:44 AM.

Default Re: Can't see web animation

the presenter said that the web design features are mostly for personal use meaning that you cannot build a full website in Designer Pro? Is that correct?

No, it's nonsense. Xara builds static, adaptive websites that can be for personal or professional use.

I seem to recall that it said on the Xara homepage that the web designs can be incorporated with WordPress, Drupal, and the likes?

Designer Pro can create graphics that can be incorporated in Wordpress, Drupal or anything else. The HTML web output of Designer Pro is not really suitable for use with Wordpress or other CMS based systems (ie dynamic, CMS, template-based technologies).

The reason Xara software does not generate HTML pages suitable for use with a CMS is that it generates WYSIWYG output to replicate your design while a CMS uses a template that adjusts according to the content. The two concepts are not compatible.

Some people incorporate CMS elements in their Xara websites by using placeholders to include CMS generated HTML - for example a wordpress site inside a placeholder.

Hi Pauland,
    Thank you so much for your answer Please excuse my endless stream of questions, but just to clarify then. The Xara developed websites then can be hosted, as is, on any hosting platform? So you just need a platform that has a c panel/ FTP? And is THAT where Dropbox comes into the picture, i.e. if you can easily access graphics etc. from Dropbox while on your site then you can also easily change page layout text etc.?
    And by creating graphics that can be used in WordPress etc. you mean png, jpeg...not gifs and other animations right?
    Thanks again

Linda

The Xara developed websites then can be hosted, as is, on any hosting platform?
    Yes, though Xara offer free hosting.

So you just need a platform that has a c panel/ FTP?
    Yes.

And is THAT where Dropbox comes into the picture, i.e. if you can easily access graphics etc. from Dropbox while on your site then you can also easily change page layout text etc.?
    I don't have Designer Pro 11, so I can't help you with the dropbox question. Someone else will help you with that. A DropBox account is not a requirement.

And by creating graphics that can be used in WordPress etc. you mean png, jpeg...
    Yes.

not gifs and other animations right?
    Why not? Yes. Xara can make animations.

Thank you so very much, I really appreciate it

Merry Christmas

Kind regards
    Linda

Linda, from XDP11X, you need Share > Xara Online Designer.

Once you have logged in, one of the four options is Dropbox.

To use this, you would have previously created a .xar file and uploaded it into the Cloud (here Dropbox).
    After this, you can open the same file through the online designer and changes made are save back into the .xar file, by going to http://cloud.ixara.com/.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi there

aaaaahhhh I see, I didn't save as a xar. file before I went in search of Dropbox. Excellent, thanks a mil.

kind regards
    Linda