Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Offline Activation: comment if you think it should be implemented

After purchasing PGD 11, I was surprised and somewhat appalled to find that offline activation is no longer supported.

I'm sure like most of you, I've been a Xara user for many many years. There will always be some of us who for whatever reason, are REQUIRED to run their software with no internet connection. In one foul swoop, those users needs have been dismissed. Xara may offer refunds, but what good is that when what we REALLY want is to be able to use the software we love?

Xara / Magix's new Online Activation policy is harmful, not just to the users, but to Xara itself - "shooting yourselves in the foot" doesn't even come close. I urge Xara / Magix to reconsider this policy, and at least make some sort of offline activation possible.

If you agree, please comment on this post and have your say.

Default Re: Offline Activation: comment if you think it should be implemented

Have you contacted Xara and discussed your problem? They may have a solution.

I don't think I own any software that doesn't use online activation.

It may be a big issue for you, but it's going to be a non-issue for 99% of the userbase.

I hope Xara provide a solution.

With Serif software and others I use daily, one can register offline. Even some of those that must be online to activate, they do not require an Internet connection to continue operating. Xara products now need to phone home to remain usable.

This is appalling for a perpetual license software in my view.

I am 1000% ×10³ against this trend of online registration only. Adobe Systems has set several precedents in the past 4 years, none of which I agree with. This interpretation of a license, "You don't own the program you paid money for. You're only renting it." is nonsense.

Fine. The next software I get, I'll loan them the money they want, to rent the program I want.

The online registration is another layer of paranoia. Forget the "desert island" or "the power went off" scenario as a reason for offline registration: how about, "I don't live on the internet, and you'll have to wait in line for a virtual cavity search because 3 out of 4 programs I need require an internet connection, fingerprints and a retina scan."

It's all way too intrusive. And greedy. I'm not buying today's mindset with software.

Give me back the serial number jazz, make it as long as you like, enable the reg box to accept Pastes, and be done with it for Chrissakes.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    ... Give me back the serial number jazz, make it as long as you like, enable the reg box to accept Pastes, and be done with it for Chrissakes.
    Couldn't agree more. With my ridiculously slow ... intermittent ... almost non-existent Canadian internet connection. It's a wonder I'm ever on line anyway.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.