Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stretchy panels won't work with graphics (png's)

Hi Guys.

I know if anyone can shed some light on my issue it's one of you.

I am building a new site and want to incorporate some full width panels and lovely png transparent graphics.

Now when I use them in the same place (same layer or different layers makes no difference) on the site they do not work together.

For one the transparency is lost, it seems to make a new graphic of the png with a bit of the background, but when that background stretches, it won't fit.... (example in screenshot 4)

And secondly, I built a pop up layer that has a slideshow widget. So I made a back panel for the widget to darken the page, when I set that to full width the graphics on the layers underneath show thru....
    (screenshots 1-3, first one is mouse off layer as is, second one is with the pop up active , but you see the png's from beneath through the dark background of the pop up layer, third one is of the editor with the layer structure visible)

Any ideas how to solve this without losing the stretchy option??

Attached screenshots of the preview window.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssx1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	111040Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssx2.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	111041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssx3.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	111042Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ssx4.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	111043

Thanx in advance!!
    Last edited by Spitsoor; 27 November 2015 at 10:07 PM.

Default Re: Stretchy panels won't work with graphics (png's)

I don't understand your first problem but the second one I think I also met. Objects disappear from a popup layer when made to stretch to page width. Interesting is that I had 4 pop-up layers with an exactly same object ( cloned and move to the other layers ) that worked on the first pop-up layer but disappeared from the others.
    I think you should raise a ticket for this.
    Could you upload an example file for the first problem?

The last screenshot is an example of the first issue.
    I have found a workaround though, and that is to make both png's have a web animation, then it's fine, it's just when the png's are placed statically, that it will make a bitmap copy.

weird!

I think I should make a ticket, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Thank you.

I see the problem now.
    Are you sure you made your image to be exported as PNG? Sometimes Xara decides to export as JPG even if you placed a PNG or Vector in your design. And that definitely would have the effect displayed in screenshot 4.

Yes, they are all PNG

They may be PNG's in your xar file but you need to specify that Xara publishes them as such. Default is to let Xara decide.

Select the image, open Web Properties / Web Image Type / Select PNG.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I could reproduce problem 2. It seems to be related to the object that has the pop-up effect applied. If that object also has a link applied then the strechy object disappears from the pop-up layer.
    Workaround would be to remove the link from the object and place an identical one with the link on the pop-up layer.

Well, the text graphic that has no action to it whatsoever also comes through the layer above it.

It really doesn't make sense to me at all.

If the whole layer would disappear It would be clearer, but I get "holes" in the bg layer of the pop up, either the shape of the graphic underneath, or a square containing all graphics.

Spitsoor,

Well, the text graphic that has no action to it whatsoever also comes through the layer above it.
    Xara is converting your text png to a jpg. You need to select it, open the Web Properties / Image tab / Web image type / select PNG. This ensures Xara publishes the image as a png with transparencies NOT a jpg with part of the backgound image.

So I made a back panel for the widget to darken the page, when I set that to full width the graphics on the layers underneath show thru....
    Don't do it that way, just create a large black rectangle, 3000px for example, with a 40% transparency, no need for the use of stretch image.

I have found a workaround though, and that is to make both png's have a web animation, then it's fine, it's just when the png's are placed statically, that it will make a bitmap copy.
    Probably using this method Xara automatically publishes the images as PNG, but I prefer to go via the option above

See attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thank you, that has been partially helpful.
    I did have to change a few of them to png. But not in all did I get the desired effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Spitsoor,

Don't do it that way, just create a large black rectangle, 3000px for example, with a 40% transparency, no need for the use of stretch image.

Ah, but you see, when I use a normal layer (not full width) my X for closing the popup layer is not visible.
    and I would put another X if I knew the code, but I haven't found it yet..
    When I set that layer to full width the X ends up at the corner of the slide show.

Can't set it to close automatically, because it contains a slideshow with a start arrow.