Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default From Xara to Indesign ?

Hello to all.

I created during the last weeks 4 posters for a local company, using Xara Pro x11

Anyway, my client wants to have a copy of all these works, to make some adjustments in the future in Indesign.

So I made a few tests of exporting/importing, but can't get a right and complex file in Indesign with my Xara files.

I tried several export from Xara :
    - ai/eps
    - artwork Eps
    - xara Eps
    - pdf (300 dpi)
    - psd

But when imported into Indesign, I always got bad things : unique file (no layers), not the right size or no margin, grey file, etc... Only abominations.

My question is : is there a "right format file" to export from Xara, and wich one is it ? Or am I obliged to start all my 4 posters from the beginning into Indesign... :/

Best regards,

Stéphane
    Stéphane
    Graphisme, illustrations & Webdesign - France
    creavisa

Default Re: From Xara to Indesign ?

Of all our filters, PDF is probably our most developed one and the one I would recommend. If something isn't importing right into Xara, you could your file to http://support.xara.com and we can send it off to the developers to investigate if it isn't being imported properly

Thanks
    Rob

Rob, ID without a plug-in cannot re-purpose (open for editing) a PDF. Such a plug-in is available from a couple companies.

Stéphane,

Rebuild the file in ID or purchase one of the plug-ins. One such one is PDF2ID from Recosoft, the other is PDF2DTP from Markzware. Neither are cheap, but can be useful when such things happen. If you go this way, export from your Xara application at the highest Acrobat compatibility level versus one of the PDF/X types. This should reasonably maintain both layers and transparency.

Mike

Hello Rob

But when exporting into PSD file, can I get a "several-layers" file at the end of the process ? It seems notwith all my tests...
    Stéphane
    creavisa

Hello Mwenz

I thank you for your advice (and adresses)

I think I will try to convince my client : "no Indesign please !" (actually the faulty soft is Indesign, that is unable to read a pdf with several layers)
    And perhaps my client owns photoshop : this could be a solution (exporting from Xara to Photoshop takes only a little work to adjustments : texts essentially)
    Stéphane
    creavisa

If a PDF has layers when placed in ID, it will retain those layers on export. That is due to PDF pass-through. As a further point, AI also cannot retain layers in a layered PDF when a PDF is opened for editing.

It's really not a fault with ID. It is a layout application. Aside from the fact that PDFs were never meant to be opened for editing in the first place, I find it a marvel that XDP does it so well (and other applications too).

Your clients may be able to install InkScape and have layers intact and be an editable document at that point. It's free. I have not tried it, though.

Mike

Thank you for the idea of InkScape. Indeed this could seduce the client (I think he knows this soft)

Best regards
    Stéphane
    creavisa

Mike is right, when placing PDF's in ID it is just a picture type viewing you get, no editing. I use this plugin PDF2ID Professional, it was bought for me, and you can tell your client,or you, that they/you can download a trial version of the software which might suit their/your purposes, just send them or go to www.recosoft.com. Would have thought if he had ID they would also have AI even an old version as you say they have PS. I don't encourage clients to mess with my designs but do always give them a PDF and bitmaps for their money.

Have a download of that trial Stéphane it works for me although I use layers in Xara but can't remember if layers came across with PDF as it is about 1 1/2 years ago since importing PDF's to ID.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Am I the only one here that thinks InDesign is a very weird choice for anyone as a poster designer?

I did once work with someone that designed graphics entirely within InDesign, but Illustrator seems the better choice ( if they really have to go that route ).

Maybe the better route to Indesign from Xara is via PDF and Photoshop or Illustrator?

Suggest your client to get Xara Designer... Problem solved.

Might not be an option though. But he/she can always download the free trial version for a month.