Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Opening a PDF in DPX11 big colour difference

Hi, I am using DPX11(32-bit) to extract clipped images from a PDF to use on a website. When I open the PDF in DP11 there is a big colour difference compared to the original.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compare.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	110612

Does anyone know why there is such a big difference?
    example.pdf

Default Re: Opening a PDF in DPX11 big colour difference

James,

I believe it will come down to those images in the PDF being CMYK, as well as being viewed in a color-managed application (at least if you are using Reader or Acrobat) versus XDP.

XDP has no concept of a color-managed work-flow. It has no means of dealing with CMYK images coming in other than to convert them to a generic RGB color space.

Mike

Hi Mike, If I copy the image from PDF reader and paste it into DPX11 the colour is perfect but I lose the clipping, so is the colour specified in the PDF document? Is there a program that will allow me to change it to RGB before importing it into DPX or better yet export the clipped images? There are over 200 images to do. As a workaround I can place the clipped image from DPX over the pasted image and subtract them, but it is a little time consuming as they come in as different sizes and have to adjust.

James, as far as I know, about the only ways to retain the clip mask is to edit in Photoshop from out of Acrobat, or open the PDF in an other application such as XDP. However, as you can see that XDP mucks up the color. Photoline, my main image editor opens the PDF just fine as regards color and retains the clip masks. As does CorelDraw, PagePlus and others.

I don't know if there is any automated means of extracting the images and retain the clip masks. Seems like there should be, but I don't know of it.

As regards color, I think Xara applications simply have some issues with CMYK images. It's a long-standing problem.

Mike

Cool Re: Opening a PDF in DPX11 big colour difference

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    As regards color, I think Xara applications simply have some issues with CMYK images. It's a long-standing problem. Mike
    Amen to that! ;D

Anders

Thanks Mike, I installed Photoline and the PDF opens perfect in it! I don't see a way to export a selected image, so I am exporting the page as PSD and opening it in DPX.

Select the image you want, copy, edit menu and paste as image. Off the top of my head at least...

Mike

Incase anyone else comes across this problem, I have just found that if you open the PDF in Scribus and then export it as PDFx4 and open in DPX, the image coloring is then as per the original!