Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a snapscan 1212u. It is wonderful, got all sorts of awards when it was newer. Won a comparison in PC Magazines of about 20 scanners, maybe not THE absolute winner but top of the list of ones to purchase. So I did. But now I am curious about maybe upgrading to something else.

One of the things that I absolutely DO NOT understand is WHY can't I find on that will scan in objects with transparent backgrounds. That does not seem like a strange request is it??? Say I 'hand cut out' a picture of someone, I have eliminated the background competely, scan it onto the hard drive, it now has a background again. There has to be a scanner out there that would allow you to choose a GIF or PNG with "background transparent" as an option.

If not then some maker out there should make that so.

Any suggestions, scanners, software that anyone can recommend, not priced through the roof??

Thank you

RAMWolff [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I have a snapscan 1212u. It is wonderful, got all sorts of awards when it was newer. Won a comparison in PC Magazines of about 20 scanners, maybe not THE absolute winner but top of the list of ones to purchase. So I did. But now I am curious about maybe upgrading to something else.

One of the things that I absolutely DO NOT understand is WHY can't I find on that will scan in objects with transparent backgrounds. That does not seem like a strange request is it??? Say I 'hand cut out' a picture of someone, I have eliminated the background competely, scan it onto the hard drive, it now has a background again. There has to be a scanner out there that would allow you to choose a GIF or PNG with "background transparent" as an option.

If not then some maker out there should make that so.

Any suggestions, scanners, software that anyone can recommend, not priced through the roof??

Thank you

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

If your snapscan still works why get a new one? Save your money - in the spring you'll be wanting a new car. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

but I DO want a newer scanner. I use my scanner allot and I know that technology has moved forward in this area.

I have been researching this all morning and I found out that Agfa has discontinued there cheaper/HOME/small buisness line (snapscan) bummer, but now I am convinced that I need to look around. I need support and they are even discontinuing that as well.

I found a web site that seems interesting. I think I want to try out the software, it's called SilverFast by Lasersoft. It is a plugin for twain and photoshop. Under $50.00 and it looks like it may allow for export of transparent backgrounds.

They have seperate software for each scanner. So I need to find one that is supported. Epson, Microtek, Cannon, UMax, and a couple of others. Still working on it.

In case anyone is interested in the site to look it over go: HERE

I purposly directed you to the supported scanner page, it's not really that easy to find on from the home page.

Hope this info helps someone.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Well, if you're insistant on buying a new scanner, I'd probably suggest staying away from the Umax line if you're concerned about support. I bought my scanner about a year and a half ago, and there is absolutely no support for it on the US website. A friend of mine managed to find the drivers on the UK website which, to me seems a bit silly. The scanner works great, but the fact that the various divisions of UMAX can't keep their drivers up to date.

HP and Canon scanners are supposedly very good. Canon's are very small and often can run just off the USB port alone. (No extra power adaptor anymore!) HP I only know by reputation. But I can't offer any input in regards to what their software is capable of...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RAMWolff:
    One of the things that I absolutely DO NOT understand is WHY can't I find on that will scan in objects with transparent backgrounds. [...]
    There has to be a scanner out there that would allow you to choose a GIF or PNG with "background transparent" as an option.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, it actually does make sense to me. After all, a scanner is not a bitmap editor. It simply acquires whatever you put under its lid, rather like a camera. But you're probably right in that the day will come (soon) when scanners/cameras will have software integrated (into the drivers?) that will allow those bitmap editing processes.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had a CanoScan for 3 years and I'm glad to be rid of it. Image quality was OK, but those Canon scanners use a different mechanism from CCD and you simply cannot scan any object (i.e. 3D) with it. Major bummer. I got myself a cheapo Epson Perfection (1240/50) and am very happy. Best TWAIN driver I've seen in a lower-priced scanner. Scanning ain't a chore any more, and it's nice and quick! Good sharp image rendering.

Hope that's useful.

Regards,
    Britta
    Regards,
    Britta

While I didn't find one that suited the transparency issue. I did do allot research and I did find that the Microtek scanner line is the best of the bunch. The Scanmaker 5600 (4800 X 2400 dpi/$149.00) and the Scanmaker 4700 (2400 X 1200 dpi/$149.00/comes with a 35mm slide & filmstrip adapter) seem to offer really good scanning capabilities and a pretty good software package, probably wouldn't use most of it, but makes nice gifts [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] . Then (**SHUDDER**) UMAX came in second. The Astra 4450 ($129.00) and the Astra e5470 ($199.00) but I'm with Lothaekor about the UMAX reputation. Gave mine away to a friend, who liked just fine, I hated the thing.

HP was a bust and Cannon didn't look really that good to me and Epson was to much out of my price range in what I was looking for. They had it but wanted like $100.00 more for the features.

So it looks like it's Microtek. I have many friends that own various models, all were/are happy with them. AND they seem like a stable company, and the web site is well put together and maintained. Good sign in my book.

So I've written the SilverFast folks to see if they are planning to cover any of the mentioned products. Really interested in their software for some reason. A hunch?? Don't know, will find out.

Thanks for the responces.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

We've had a MicroTek Scan Maker 6400 XL for about an year and a half. Mostly we scan 11x17 redline drawings (to email to other offices) and occasional photographs.

We don't use it very heavily. Well, it now makes all sort of noise when scanning.

The scan software SUCKS!!!!!! Maintaining profiles for different types of scans is a joke; at least when more than two or three people use it.

If you r_e_a_l_l_y want to hand cut your photos, then put a piece of colored paper (whose color is not in the photo) behind your trimmed photos. Then when you bring it it your photo editor it would be a snap to create a mask.

Thanks for more input, really appreciate it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well, since I have this yearning to keep giving companies a chance to impress me and after the glowing .02 cents from John Clements on Microtek, I took a dive into the sharky waters of Epson. I HATE their printers, I love HP for printing. But I've heard nothing but glowing reveiws of Epsons scanners. Gateway even gave them 5 stars. So....I ordered the Epson Perfection 1650. Free shipping since it was over $199.00, nice [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

I'll let you all know what I think.

I just feel that if you are into graphics, every body should have a decent scanner for those times when you really need one, transparency export issues aside.

One other nice little tid bit. The model that I ordered is supported by SilverFast. So I will be getting that software eventually. It's like $120.00 for the Epson covered version, something about the licensing of each scanner manufacturer varies, then per model too!! Makes sence in an odd sort of way.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

RamWolff,

I'm considering the Epson Perfection 1650. Did you get the photo scanner or the non? What are your impressions, especially with scanning OCR (editable text--this is most important to me). I am returning the HP 5400c I bought yesterday because it has terrible performance.

Thanks for any information.

EKY