Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint road map

Default Re: Paint road map

Just a thought, but since the roads are the more complex item, it might be easier to consider things the other way round, and have a background which is the road texture, with the non-road areas (grass etc) made as closed elements with the roads showing through, and then the yellow lines can be applied over the roads.

Hi DoctorG, any chance of attaching an svg file?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I love artists. So it is neat what you can do with art-brushes. But the real world rarely corresponds cleanly to repeated patterns (except the asphalt and grass itself).

But in this case we are trying to re-produce the real world. So we have to reproduce with as little fuss the actual lane markings, stop signs, traffic lights, and parallel parking lines. It is also has to be about 4cm accurate (I will take the resultant PNG and geo-register it using qGIS or some other program). But the relative layout has to sit in a rectangle that I can add control points.

The SVG is attached.

I think there is too much detail in this OSM map. Besides they added stuff that is not in a standard OSM map. (centerlanes, etc.) all we really are working towards is the road boundaries, islands, and a few other items.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_XML

(BTW, tell me if there is a better way to import into XARA than SVG. As I said, the raw data is in XML format (OSM). (I did consider doing the editing in qGIS which would maintain the geo-registered lines, but there the drawing tools are lacking).

Also, Egg, etc. I am not asking for any more help than the question in the line above. You guys have been great, and I think I have enough to get a large amount done today.

thick.svg
    Last edited by DoctorG; 12 October 2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: added more detail

Hi Dave,

But in this case we are trying to re-produce the real world.
    This is the real world of 4cm accuarcy at the point of observation and the total lack of curved lines, just straight ones joining the observation points of what distance apart?

I think if I took the resultant svg into the local council planning or highways department they'd be horrified.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

real world data is coming from Lidar and GPS. They generate OSM maps which do not have curves.

But yes, you are correct, this is a real world test track, and it has almost every kind of crazy intersection you would never want to drive.