Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am a graphic designer specializing in packaging. I use my web site for customer to view new designs for paperboard type packages plus jars and bottles in the cosmetic industry. I use Corel Draw to simulate semi 3D layouts so my customer get a better idea of what their logo/layout will look like on a finished piece. Some of my pieces are used when there is no time for photography. I am wanting to step up to a 3D program to do this. I have Corel Dream 3D but have never learned it. I want to be able to wrap my graphic design on bottles and jars in particular. I have no need for animation at this point. Can anyone give me there thoughts as to a program to achieve the above without overkill.

Thank you for any ideas.

Gary Allred
    gary@theoriginalorg.com
    www.theoriginalorg.com

I am a graphic designer specializing in packaging. I use my web site for customer to view new designs for paperboard type packages plus jars and bottles in the cosmetic industry. I use Corel Draw to simulate semi 3D layouts so my customer get a better idea of what their logo/layout will look like on a finished piece. Some of my pieces are used when there is no time for photography. I am wanting to step up to a 3D program to do this. I have Corel Dream 3D but have never learned it. I want to be able to wrap my graphic design on bottles and jars in particular. I have no need for animation at this point. Can anyone give me there thoughts as to a program to achieve the above without overkill.

Thank you for any ideas.

Gary Allred
    gary@theoriginalorg.com
    www.theoriginalorg.com

Hi Gary,

First I'd like to say, please don't try Corel Dream 3D. I've used it once, and in my opinion that program completely discourages people from ever using a 3d program again!

Now for some places to start. My first recommendation for your purposes would probably be Caligari trueSpace. They just had a major price reduction, which makes their product even more appealing. My second recommendation would be NewTek's Inspire 3D. This is the 'reduced fat' version of the 3d animation powerhouse, LightWave. The only reason I recommend Inspire is that one can make an easy transition to LightWave if they decide to take 3d further. But honestly, I wouldn't go with Inspire if you don't have any intentions of 'upsizing' your package.

All in all, I think trueSpace is your best choice - especially with the recent price reduction.

Hi--

Earl's suggestion of trueSpace is a good one, but the learning curve is a little more severe if all you want to do is past a label on a box or cylinder (or jar).

Adobe Dimensions 3 is $149, and I do not think I will outgrow it (not to say I don't buy additional programs), because it renders 3D text so well. It's limited to lathing and extrusions, but check out the picture here to show you what you can do easily.

And Earl is also right that CorelDREAM is a CorelNightmare. The U-I makes no freaking sense.

Kindest Regards,

Gary David Bouton
    www.boutons.com
    Gary@GaryWorld.com
    Visit a really large gallery at www.GaryWorld.com!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TonyandMels.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	15178  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.

I could never get past the UI in Corel Dream so I agree there. I can see that both programs mentioned above in my future but I think that Adobe Dimensions would serve my purposes at this point and also give me a good first stepping stone into the world of 3D.

Thanks again to both of you for takin the time to answer my question.

Gary Allred
    gary@theoriginalorg.com
    www.theoriginalorg.com

Gary, (Allred)

If you were not aware of this already, Adobe offers a downloadable 'tryout' version of Dimensions 3.0. Demos are always great to help one make a decision. I had forgotten about this little app. Thanks Gary (Bouton) for bringing it up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I'll be downloading the tryout once I return home (to my cable connection) to see where they've taken this program in version 3.

Adobe Dimensions Tryout

Thanks - I am experimenting with right now.

Gary Allred

There is a new software on the market called Wrapture which is specially designed for packing,and I think its made by Quark,its definitely called Wrapture,but I am unsure how much it costs.

Stu.

Hi Gary,
    I've never used anything but DREAM3D and, years ago, swivel3D so I can't comment on any other programs and I don't know what UI is (that others commented on) but what I DO LIKE very much is the ease of going between D3D and DRAW and PHOTO-PAINT.
    It's like they are all one program. I did my spinning logo in D3D and PP.

Sharon P.
    www.fischerpassmoredesign.com

Hi Sharon,

I didn't mean to degrade Corel Dream3D, or those who use it. I do feel that for someone who is trying to learn 3d, Dream3D can be a bit awkward and discouraging. But, like any tool, the output is in the hands of the user/artist. =)

The term "UI" is for the User Interface. A varient of this term is "GUI" for Graphical User Interface. Everyone works differently, and thinks differently, so it's quite understandable that one person is able to use one program very sucessfully while others wouldn't even consider using it. It all depends on personal workflow. On a personal note, I commend you as an artist for being able to use Corel Dream3D. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] While Corel has awesome vector, bitmap and publishing applications (I've been a Corel beta tester for many years now), they did not quite have a handle on 3d until their recent purchase of Bryce 3D.

If you haven't tried any other 3d programs than the two you listed (I've never used Swivel3D), I'd urge you to experiment and try out some of the demos that are available for download. It's possible that you'd find something that you like even more. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]