Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Our New Site using: Xara Web Designer 10 Premium Supersite with XT-CMS 1.9

Just wanted to post the new website I'm working on.

Its 96% done and will be "live" October 28th. Working on tweaking the "speed"...especially with the home page picture widget.

The test url is here:
    http://new.clintonhealth.org

it will be replacing the "current" website (made with FrontPage 2000) http://www.clintonhealth.org
    and will switch over to that url on the 28th.

Its designed with Xara Web Designer 10 Premium and XT-CMS 1.9. I based some of the cool ideas from Xara's site here: http://www.webdesigner-v10-demosite...._page_products

The site is a "super-site" which is made from 1 Xara file with several pages in it, and the CMS template is made of 1 Xara file with 2 pages in it. NOTE: both Xara files also include a variant for cellphones.

We have approximately 51 pages of content, and there was no way we were going to try to build all those individual pages. Thank goodness there was a CMS program that works with Xara!

So all the bells & whistles part -- like the home page and all the Services & Programs' own main pages is just using Xara, as soon as you click on actual topic (example: Go to BUSINESSES then click on Public Water Systems) you are now looking thru the XT-CMS program. Very cool!

We using Windows IIS 7.0 and hosting on own website.

We're very happy with both software applications (Xara and XT-CMS).

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

(Special shout-out to Tom at XT-CMS for ALL his patience and tweaking, and to Egg, Gary, and Acorn, at Xara for helping me out -- teaching a "newbie")

Karen

Default Re: Our New Site using: Xara Web Designer 10 Premium Supersite with XT-CMS 1.9

Hi Karen

I like it. Congratulations!

Please give your pages a title (Website Properties > Page > Page Title. Right now your home page in the browser tab says Home. Also give each page a unique title and add page descriptions as well as a general overall description in the Website tab.

Default Re: Our New Site using: Xara Web Designer 10 Premium Supersite with XT-CMS 1.9

Thank you very much Gary

Yes that's what I have left to do is the fine-tuning. Page title, meta tags, (meta tags on the CMS side too), just tweaking here and there. OF course I haven't initiated any web crawling as I don't want it to crawl on the test url. Plus I have not put the "search this page" in yet for that same reason.

If you guys figure out a way to be able to open something in a new tab that would be great (on that home page photo widget thingy).

If its going to a topic in the CMS then opening in "self" is good, but when I have a flyer like the rabies clinics which is a pdf file, I would like that to open up in a new tab for the user, so they don't close the whole website when they are done reading that flyer.

Something else, if I do that photo optimization thing, what do I put the size at? Is it 192?

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    that home page photo widget thingy
    Karen, try this in the image's link:
    javascript:void(window.open("http://www.clintonhealth.org/BulletinsPress/PR09152015.pdf", "_blank" ));
    When it is the live site, you can drop the http://www.clintonhealth.org/ part; it will probably end up as javascript:void(window.open("index_htm_files/BulletinsPress/PR09152015.pdf", "_blank" ));

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Karen, I also like the Google translate touch,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Karen, I also like the Google translate touch,
    Acorn
    Thank you Acorn

I will also try the code you suggested to see if that will open the page off the photo in a new tab, when I get to work tomorrow.
    I wonder why they didn't enable that option like all the other links?

Karen

The way I have my Chrome set up your page doesn't load. Works well with Edge fairly quickly but the slides take longer to appear. Thought it might be Add-block but no it must be as Gary stated "#xl_xr_page_home" is causing the problem.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hmmm Albacore,
    The "#xl_xr_page_home page names shouldn't affect if its blocked, must be something in your Chrome? Chrome on my Samsung and from the destktop and tablet works great.

Karen

Oh yeah....can you guys give advice on the photo optimization tool? what do I set it to in the settings (ex: for the photo widget thing).... 192?

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by KarenC View Post
    Oh yeah....can you guys give advice on the photo optimization tool? what do I set it to in the settings (ex: for the photo widget thing).... 192?

Thank you,
    My advice is to optimise all your images before you put them into XWD, preferably using Adobe Photoshop/Elements