Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Should I buy Xara Designer Pro

Hello, I have been a Serif Fan for some time but following research into Xara, it looks like it will be better for me. However, I am confused. The Designer pro software costs £220 whereas buying Web Designer 11 Premium, Photo and Graphic 11 and Page and Layout Designer 11 separately will cost less.

Is there more stuff in the Designer Pro programme or is it just a combination of the other three programs? If there isn't more stuff in it are there other reasons to pay more in order to have one program? For example is it easier or quicker or less space hungry on my hard drive? If there is other stuff in it what is that and is it worth the extra money.

Sorry to ask so many questions. I am really keen to get going with Xara but don't ant to start my relationship by buying the wrong thing. I hope somebody can help. Thanks

Default Re: Should I buy Xara Designer Pro

Mark, have you looked at http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/compare/?

Designer Pro have everything the others have. The link shows the overlap.
    I happen to have it and Web designer Premium and an early version of Page & Layout Designer.

I try to work in Premium as a baseline but all the clever stuff ends up being done in Pro.
    Having it all in one application is truly beneficial.

I think the price difference is due to some of the lesser products being 32-bit.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

~Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Mark, have you looked at http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/compare/?

Designer Pro have everything the others have. The link shows the overlap.
    I happen to have it and Web designer Premium and an early version of Page & Layout Designer.

I try to work in Premium as a baseline but all the clever stuff ends up being done in Pro.
    Having it all in one application is truly beneficial.

I think the price difference is due to some of the lesser products being 32-bit.

Acorn
    Aha, are the single programs not 64 bit?

Hello Acorn, that is interesting. Are you saying the single programs are not 64 bit?

If you need features of more than one program then just buy pro for convenience and the extras.
    XT-CMS - a self-hosted CMS for Xara Designers - Xara + CMS Demo with blog & ecommerce shopping cart system.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkAOrr View Post
    Hello Acorn, that is interesting. Are you saying the single programs are not 64 bit?
    Mark, no, I said some.
    It's there in the linked page.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

The bit of money you save is not worth the operational inconveniences imho. Because the apps all have the same basic appearance it is easy to forget where you are when jumping from one to the other. I started out with Xara v10 separates last year, but quickly upgraded to v11 pro when it became available and I can honestly say it is more than the sum of it's parts.

I would expect updating one product will be cheaper than three. At least if you add the normal update price for the three mentioned products from V10 to V11 the sum is above that of Pro 10 to Pro 11, and I would expect the same for V11 to V12.
    Besides it will be much less effort maintaining one product.
    None of the other products supports multi core processors.
    I think it will really save you some time not to have to switch between the programs for some special tasks.
    I definitely would decide for Pro.

I am really keen to get going with Xara

Download the trial as a starting point, then investigate the special offers.