Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Live copy in XPGD11 not available?

My copy of XPGD11 recognises that an item is a live copy, and updates other live copies as expected, but does not seem to offer the facility to create new sets of live copies - or have I missed something?

I have a document that I use to set up timesheets on a template and, to ensure that I don't miss any details, I set up live copies of the text field contents outside the page and just edit those. This I did in the full version of Xara, and have used it for several years, having made small edits from time to time.

I have both applications but tend to use XPGD11 for simpler graphics/DTP tasks. Does XPGD11 simply not offer the facility, or is it somewhere else? I cannot find any reference to it in "Help".

Grateful for any advice, please?

[Using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 11.2.3.40788 DL Sep 1 2015 on Win10]

Edit: Just had a look at the same document in XDPX10 as well, and teat does, as expected, show a menu option for live copies.

See attachments. The first two are from XPGD11- the context menu shows no reference to "live dopy", and the second is a selected pre-existing live copy to demonstarte that it is still rrcognised as such:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XDPG11 menu.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	110248
    Name:  XPDG11 existing live item.png
Views: 238
Size:  2.8 KB

This is from XPDX10, and shows "live copy" in the menu.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XDPX10 menu.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	110249
    Last edited by AntonM; 23 September 2015 at 02:50 PM.
    Anton

Default Re: Live copy in XPGD11 not available?

Hi Anton, Live Copies are only available in Xara Designer Pro, non of the other products have this feature.

http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/compare/
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for that, Egg. I wasn't aware of the existence of that very useful page.

Have to say I'm more than a bit surprised that "Live copies" is considered a "luxury" item. If XGPD recognises and correctly updates pre-existing live copies, then clearly the code is there, just not enabled (or deliberately disabled?) for new creations.
    Anton

"or deliberately disabled" I'd say. If they're going to have four different products they have to leave out somethings in each but the top product
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    "or deliberately disabled" I'd say. If they're going to have four different products they have to leave out somethings in each but the top product
    ... which I always find disappointing . Perhaps we should upload a few "examples" with such items available for rework?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    If they're going to have four different products they have to leave out somethings in each but the top product
    Understood - but it seems that the only way to get such a small detail would be to shell out a heck of a lot of money, to get the top product. TBH, I think it's a little unreasonable. But then, it's their decision, and I do already have XDPX10.
    Anton