Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

maybe you've read my thread in XARA X -> sodipodi 0.28 - the successor of XARA X?

OK, I'm messing around with Linux, searching for excellent apps to work with to replace the windows world in my office.

And guess what: I just stumbled into 'The Art Of Illusion' - a great 3D modeling and raytracing app for Linux, Mac and Windows. It's written in Java, so that's why it will run everywhere.

Check the link: Artofillusion

go to the appropriate OS link and download the stuff. Chances are high that - after unpacking it - you need to open a command prompt window, change to the directory where you put the files and issue this command at the prompt: java -Xmx128m -jar ArtOfIllusion.jar

It's a small but powerful dream app.

enjoy!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

maybe you've read my thread in XARA X -> sodipodi 0.28 - the successor of XARA X?

OK, I'm messing around with Linux, searching for excellent apps to work with to replace the windows world in my office.

And guess what: I just stumbled into 'The Art Of Illusion' - a great 3D modeling and raytracing app for Linux, Mac and Windows. It's written in Java, so that's why it will run everywhere.

Check the link: Artofillusion

go to the appropriate OS link and download the stuff. Chances are high that - after unpacking it - you need to open a command prompt window, change to the directory where you put the files and issue this command at the prompt: java -Xmx128m -jar ArtOfIllusion.jar

It's a small but powerful dream app.

enjoy!

jens

jens g.r. benthien
    designer
    http://www.sacalobra.de

----------//--
    If you don't know how to dream you'll never be a designer.
    ----------//--
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi bud

Must check that out jens

I read somewhere recently there will be a Windows Linux version out soon.

Stu.

Hey, Jens....

It looks like a mighty sweet drawing app, but I think to make entry into the drawing app market when it's already full in Windows and on the Mac? Agreed, that Unix might need a drawing application, but:

1.) XARA has dominated the illustration professional's hard disk under Windows for almost 7 years now. I admit no one ever though CorelDRAW would get unseated, but things happen.

2.)Can anyone but XARA, Ltd. code in assembly and make the interface logical?

3.) Here's a screen capture of Canvas 8 for Mac and Win. It occupies and will continue to occupy a niche market, even though as you can see, it does rudimentary 3D.

I think XARA, Ltd. is too smart to see their flagship product which features its core technology slip.

My Best,
    Gare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	canvas_8_extrude.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	6070  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.