Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Customer rings up and says her website isn't working...

Another positive thing happened to me this morning. Customer rings up and says her website isn't working. I tell her it's because she hasn't paid this year's or last year's bill... again. And that this time I'm not getting up from my morning cuppa until the outstanding is paid up PLUS the bill for next year because she's been with me for almost 10 years and has NEVER paid on time and her lack of billpayabilidad is a sign of deep disrespect. Tick tock tick tock, 20 mins later the money's in the bank and I switch her website back on. Oh the joy. Payback's a lady dawg.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Default Re: Customer rings up and says her website isn't working...

I'm glad things worked right, for you.
    Everyone will have different views, as to how to handle a situation like this, and difficult to know because only you know your customer(s).

But, in this case, I would probably have done the same as you.
    Sometimes, enough is enough!

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Cheers BF. It's been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Another positive thing happened to me this morning. Customer rings up and says her website isn't working. I tell her it's because she hasn't paid this year's or last year's bill... again. And that this time I'm not getting up from my morning cuppa until the outstanding is paid up PLUS the bill for next year because she's been with me for almost 10 years and has NEVER paid on time and her lack of billpayabilidad is a sign of deep disrespect. Tick tock tick tock, 20 mins later the money's in the bank and I switch her website back on. Oh the joy. Payback's a lady dawg.
    Web design has never been a major part of my design business, though certainly a part, which I've gotten completely out of recently - and I don't miss it at all. One of the major problems I've always had is that almost 100% of the customers are late in making domain and hosting renewals. Payment for initial design, domain and hosting seems to be easily obtained, but renewals never so.

I don't use the threat of the great blackout frequently (thankfully) but when I do it's because I've had enough and when the customer realises I could have done so much sooner he/she normally pays up. But those that don't... tough. They lose everything: website, logs, email, the lot. They can argue until the cows come home but until the cheque's cleared it doesn't get switched back on. I do lots of hosting and 95% of people pay up on the dot. As always it's the 5% that cause 95% of the grief.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

From day one we have kept it simple, we design websites, we're not a hosting company. The client arranges the hosting and it and domain renewal are their responsibility. I don't know why people insist on offering hosting to clients, it's just trouble down the road.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    I don't know why people insist on offering hosting to clients
    Because it's profitable (plus you have control). I wouldn't do it otherwise. Horses for courses.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Profitable in what sense?, the vast majority of our customers are aware that they can get hosting for as little as £1 per month (thank you goddady!)

I don't want control, my job is to create a website and help out in matters related to the website, not the hosting. The industry has made a rod for it's back by associating hosting with webdesign. BMW or Mercedes sell you a car, they're not responsible for filling it up or making sure that your insurance premiums are paid or that you pay your road tax on time. The control should be with the customer not us. I have one client whose previous designer hosted their website and now has moved abroad and the client does not have any details of hosting, no user names no passwords etc, I know that is an extreme case but it does happen.

Let them manage the hosting and domains and you simply will not be bothered by such clients. Save yourself the headache.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

the vast majority of our customers are aware that they can get hosting for as little as £1 per month (thank you goddady!)

Indeed, but many do not want to go anywhere near a webserver, don't wish to be configuring anything and just wants something that works (and keeps working).

I don't want control, my job is to create a website and help out in matters related to the website, not the hosting. The industry has made a rod for it's back by associating hosting with webdesign. BMW or Mercedes sell you a car, they're not responsible for filling it up or making sure that your insurance premiums are paid or that you pay your road tax on time.

Our jobs can be what we make them, but often clients want more than just design and implementation. The Motor car manufacturer does provide a car and you can buy it and walk away, but they all have dealer networks and warranties that tie you into their aftercare - usually by insisting that services are performed by their dealer network. BMW doesn't want to wave you goodbye when they sell a car, they want more of your money in aftercare.

The control should be with the customer not us. I have one client whose previous designer hosted their website and now has moved abroad and the client does not have any details of hosting, no user names no passwords etc, I know that is an extreme case but it does happen.

It's unfortunate that it happened. In a perfect world the clients would be able to subcontract their web maintenance and still make sure they have access even if they don't use it.

Let them manage the hosting and domains and you simply will not be bothered by such clients. Save yourself the headache.

It's a fair enough point, counterbalanced by successful developers who have clients who are happy to be hands-off and require a minimal amount of work but will pay a monthly retainer for on-going hosting and maintenance. Those developers with undemanding clients are happy to make money for little effort.

You're right, selling hosting and maintenance is not for everyone, but it is for many.