Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Split a page EXACTLY into two PDF pages...

I am creating a map for the centerfold of a newspaper.

The working size is 20" wide by 16" tall.

The printer needs it in two 10x16" PDF pages.

Is there a way to export just one half of the image at a time or ???

I am trying to avoid anything that involves me actually touching things. For example, I could reduce the page to 10x16, slide the map so that the left side covers the page, export the page to pdf, then slide the map to the right and export again... However there is no guarantee I will get it to match perfectly.

Same goes for drawing a 10x16 box and using clip view... Too imprecise.

I need a way that will exactly divide the page in two, so if the two PDF's printed side by side don't line up perfectly, it is due to the printer's issues and not my poor page split.

Suggestions????

Default Re: Split a page EXACTLY into two PDF pages...

Hmm. Never tried it in XDP before.

Does it have bleed?

If I had to do this and do it in XDP, I think I would place a line where I needed it to split and group the whole thing. Either in a new document set to half the page size or in the working document with two added pages set to half the size, simply bring a copy onto the new page, align the line to the page edge, do the same for the other half on the other new page. then remove the lines.

But, it seems entirely odd for a newspaper to require two separate PDFs for each half. Heck, its a center spread. I use imposition software weekly and this sort of thing is pretty easy to do. They gotta be using something for imposition.

With bleed it would complicate things ever so slightly.

Mike

Centre the map on the page. Duplicate the page and map.
    On each page, create a white box exactly half the width of your map and the same height; ensure it has no width set.
    Align one box to the right on top of the map the first page and the other box to the left on the second page.
    Change the page size and fit map with box to page.
    Export just the page area (map).

That all said, why not provide a map with crop marks as, I assume that's what the printer will actually need?
    Have you asked the printer what they need exactly? That seems to be the safest approach. Never known a printer not being able to accept a PDF and for them to rescale accordingly.

I would hold off for more knowledgable advice than mine.

Measure twice, cut once,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

It is a discount, online newspaper printing service that simply wants a PDF uploaded containing all 16 pages in the order they will appear. I am sure that a full-service printer could take my double-wide PDF's page and do the split for me, but not this company.

I may just design the map so there are no ads and minimal graphics in the center line, so if my split is less than perfect or doesn't line up exactly, the visual impact will be minimal.

Set up the page options as per the image below and export the PDF. All your spreads will automatically be cut exactly in half.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export_test_page_1.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	109877

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler View Post
    Set up the page options as per the image below and export the PDF. All your spreads will automatically be cut exactly in half.

Never needed to do this, but, it works brilliantly.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

As Mike states if there is bleed for trimming that would sure mess things up if colour is involved. What I would do is on your original Xara doc. set up Guides for your split with one exactly in the middle on your 10" mark. Then again using Guides drag on to your page 1/8" either side of the first centreline and use the Page & Layer Gallery to do this accurately under properties. The guides for bleed will need to be done both vertically & horizontally and will need to be 1/8" bigger than your 10x16" page. Hit numeral 2 (snap to guides) then draw a rectangle on the lowest layer and at bottom of the stacking order over guides for your L/hand page and make sure in your info bar that the rectangle is 1/8 " bigger than 10x16". Copy your map, bar the rectangle that you have just drawn, into clipboard or duplicate page with guides and rectangle. Then Use "ClipView" to half your doc+bleed on your first page and save as PDF_L/hand_page. Move to 2nd page or paste from clipboard your original map back into drawing and do the same for the R/hand page. Now I have know idea what your design is like but if it is for a newspaper then your blacks in your drawing after the PDF export will be "rich blacks" made up from a % of all CMYK colours and also you have no "cut/trim marks". Re-import your PDF's into xara and select all black areas/lines of your drawing and bring up the Colour Editor, select the CMYK Colour Model from drop down then move the K slider down to the bottom and then back up to 100% as this gives you the correct black for newspapers (don't know why this works). Now mark on your trim marks manually using your guides and re-export both pages as PDF's.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Xara can handle bleed from spreads. See attached PDF (Make sure to Show art, trim and bleed boxes in Adobe Reader).
    export_test_page_1.pdf

That's OK if not full colour bleed and that's what I was trying to explain above. Since I move to Windows 10 can't use Acro Pro or even Reader it has to be Reader DC which doesn't have the ability to insert printer marks. If I was to use printer marks with PDF export it would place them in the wrong place.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadler View Post

Sadler, I also "remembered" this setting when re-reading the manual: Page Options... > Paper > Double-page.
    Well done for reporting it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat