Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: New tool for registry tweaking

ok...i've moved one section at a time in front of General (1) and the changes to entries correctly update for each section that i move above General (1).
    renaming sections have no effect.
    also, starting fresh, in the order of the original xml - if i copy General (1) and paste at the end and then delete the original General (1) from the top all sections also update when changes to entries are made.

one other thing, no matter which xml i try, after changing an entry in one section, as soon as i switch to another section the error message noti displays at the bottom but everything still works ok

hopefully this helps. i think you're getting there

Thanks. I'm still working on those bugs, hope I get the right this time.
    Rubem Pechansky

Okay, I've uploaded version 1.0.4 which should be the most stable to date. Creating previosuly empty entries was a bit trickier than I expected. Hope I got it right this time. I also created an option to set the application icon (thanks Rik!) and I've uploaded Rik's nice icon here.

Of course please report any bugs as usual.
    Rubem Pechansky

The addition of the icon is pretty simple.
    Just ensure that the .ico file is in the 'Images' folder, and enter the name of the .ico file into the xml file (as shown below, in my example).

<Icon>xre icon.ico</Icon>

PS. I don't get the errors with XRE Version 1.0.4.14
    HURRAY!

EDIT: If you plane to run the programme from your desktop, or elsewhere, and you want to use the new icon. Then after creating the shortcut, then simply change the icon by right-clicking and selecting properties and changing the icon.
    Last edited by Rik; 08 September 2015 at 12:00 PM.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

hmmm. trying out latest version 1.0.4.14 - on the initial loading screen it was showing my other xre folder with the usual xmls along with my modded ones. i backed out and navigated to the new .1.14 folder and selected DPx11 64bit xml. i still had the same issues: nothing lower than General (1) would update in the actual registry entry and going between sections would result in the red error msg noti at the bottom.

that said, seeing how it initially pulled xmls from an old folder to select from, i exited xre and restarted again and the initial menu for choosing the Xara version was correct this time and everything worked - all sections, entries updated, no errors switching between sections. either something was held in a registry entry for xre somewhere or i know my ssd is setup to cache the most recent and highly used apps but restarting xre once corrected it

either way, it's looking good now and Rik has it running without issues also. now to remove some entries that don't exist, add my couple items that i sometimes tweak, and add the default values in each info description so i know what the defaults should be

nice work Rubem

Mikey: I found that with each version I've tried.
    Upon starting XRE.exe, it navigates to the last folder you had gone to.

Everyone is likely to have their own opinion on this one.
    It may be that I'm saving my xml files in a particular location. Then it would be quite a pain to have to navigate there every time.

So, this is a bit of a funny one.

makes sense and sounds reasonable if you only have the latest version that works with nothing else to muddle it up, but having three folders on my desktop for each of the three xre versions to keep everything separate, i would think that each individual xre.exe would pull from its own folder with its own xml files taking into account where you had gone to last for that xre version. a new version should initially pull the xml menu from its own folder.
    confusing to try to explain but hey, i'm a happy camper. glad he stuck with it and got 'er done

Mikey: I think I know what you mean.
    I wonder if Rubem can set it that each XRE.exe remembers which folder it went to last?

I think the programmes is coming on brilliantly, though.

There is already a workaround on this one. Rename all xmls in each folder as xre.xml. Thus each executable will open its own xml.

In a future version I plan to have a combo to select between softwares just like XaReg, but this is not a quick implementation.

About the dialog box behavior: that's Windows doing is thing. I can override this so the dialog always open the same folder as the executable, but I'm not sure this will work for everyone.
    Rubem Pechansky

Another way: using Windows magic and command-line parameters (RTM), you may use just one executable and several shortcuts. Each shortcut would point to a different XML. Example:

Shortcut 1: C:\Users\Username\Desktop\XRE.exe x10.xml
    Shortcut 2: C:\Users\Username\Desktop\XRE.exe x11.xml

etc.
    Rubem Pechansky