Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Big world, small things. Child holding a Junco.

Glad you think so Keith, and thanks. I couldn't do much with Xara initially but since I committed to creating something with it every week or two my skills have come a long way and I've found faster easier ways to create things. I still have a lot of room for improvement but I see things getting better. Will keep pushing forward and hope someday to put out work as nice as the folks they have posted in the Xara gallery.
    Mark Beckemeyer AKA (buckobeck)
    Amateur artist and hobbyist macro photographer. I like bugs.
    buckobecks.com

Mark, that's one excellent drawing. I hope you do more portraits.

Thank you Gray. I don't generally draw portraits because I find them a bit too challenging, but I may try another one some where down the line.
    Critters are more my speed. LOL
    buckobecks.com

Quote Originally Posted by buckobeck View Post
    This addition to Big World, Small Things includes two very cute small things. A child and a junco.
    People, especially faces, are hard for me to draw. I think I will stick to mainly wildlife.

Comments and criticisms welcome.

Attachment 110963 Attachment 110964
    Excellent portrate Mark
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks Larry, good to hear from you.
    buckobecks.com

Thanks Mark. I know you would rather do wildlife but that port rate really was phenomenal, wish I could do as well.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

It's a funny thing Larry, and sometimes I think I have trouble expressing in words what I truly am trying to say, I also think I sometimes I drive people away from my posts because of it. When I draw insects I am trying to portray the beauty of gods creatures that is there, but most people do not see. Let's face it, most people don't closely scrutinize and insect or a bug. But it's something I've done since I was a child. The closer you look the more you see. For me the beauty is in the details, the things most people don't see. I feel that when I draw a close up of a critter it gives someone a chance to sit there, take in the details and see the beauty of it's design. Something different that most folks never consider as a source of pleasure to look at. Drawing them helps me share what I see with others, and with creatures, I feel like I mostly succeed at that.

When I draw portraits of people it's different. On the merit of the drawing itself I feel it is a "good" drawing, but I don't consider it phenomenal; Though I do thank you for that evaluation of my portrait Larry and it makes me very happy that you think that much of it, it seems that no matter how good the drawing itself is I can never capture what I'm truly trying express when doing a drawing of a person. Like this subject, Rylee. She is my grand daughter that I have raised since she was a baby and is one of the kindest, gentlest, caring people I know. Try as I may, I feel like I always fall short capturing and conveying that in a drawing of a person. People seem to like my portraits and I like creating something that others can enjoy and appreciate, but for me they are never quite there, which can be disheartening. I guess it's that different kind of beauty found in Gods greatest creatures that makes them so difficult for me to portray and always leaves me feeling I could have done better.

My wife says I'm a perfectionist and that is why I'm never completely happy with anything I do, 'cause nothing is perfect.
    Sorry so long winded. LOL

That's not saying I won't attempt more portraits, like a good man here at the forums says,
    "Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work."

That's why I like the forums here at Talk Graphics, you folks are encouraging and supportive and you're positive influence and advice has had a lot to do with the advances I've made with my drawing skills in Xara.

Thanks all, and thanks again Larry.
    buckobecks.com

Default Re: Big world, small things. Bush Cricket.

A Bush Cricket basking in the glow of the setting sun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xarabushcricket.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	111429
    buckobecks.com

Okay, Mark, you had me feeling depressed (as an artist) when you showed the little girl with the bird.

Now, please tell me that the bush cricket is a photo and not a drawing.

Please?

I'm going to quit art altogether if so, and send you all of my clients.

you are one amazing and talented dude, dude!

—Gary

Yes, I thought it was a photo too. Amazing illustration.