Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "outline all fonts"

Hi,
    I need to outline all fonts to be able to print, I dont have adobe, can and how can this be done in xara?
    Thanks.

Default Re: "outline all fonts"

I have just Converted all to editable shapes, is that the same thing?

there are other guys here (they really know this stuff) that'll fully inform you on this if you want to wait till they wake up but from my understanding the text you have can be exported as a pdf with the fonts embedded (choose in advanced options when saving as a pdf) or export it as a pdf/x which automatically embeds all the fonts and then some. no need to "outline" them as you did.

About the only time I outline fonts--yes, convert to shapes is the same thing--is when there is not a sufficient permission set in the font to allow for embedding. In general, it is better to keep the fonts as fonts. Some print establishments still insist that designers outline fonts due to a 1990s work-flow based on faulty beliefs that TrueType fonts would not embed properly in postscript files and or PDFs.

Unless you are using fonts with the embedding permissions set to Restricted or the print establishment in its on fonts converted to curves (outlined fonts, convert to editable objects, etc.) Then leave the fonts as is. They will take less time to RIP.

Mike

Teya,

I would be remiss if I didn't mention a couple other things. One, if you convert text to shapes, be sure to use a copy of your working file to do so. Once converted, the text cannot be edited as text again. Also, while I only do this once in a while for the above mentioned reasons, I also use a copy of my working file.

However, you can also convert text to shapes at the time of PDF export, at least in XDP. In the Export as PDF dialog, the second tab (Objects) has a checkbox for doing this.

Mike

Try applying a 1 step 1 px contour

editable-outlined-font.xar
    Last edited by zaphodeist; 28 August 2015 at 09:59 PM.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

John, by outlining fonts they mean convert to shapes so each letter becomes a shape. They aren't worried about editing the converted text (but Mikes suggestion of keeping an editable copy of the text is a very wise one)

This is a way of preparing something for print that contains a font that can't be embedded
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Ah ... ok
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Probably simpler to just set the "Convert text into shapes" switch in the Objects tab of the PDF settings dialog...

Phil

Phil it is always a pleasure to read your posts. You are a wealth of good information. Thank you.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.