I'm quite saddened by this discussion - not because it's happening, or that everyone doesn't make worthwhile points, but the fundamental issue about document publishing is entirely missing and we are left with the technical minutae that facilitates DTP.

If I want to make an illustration, I want everything I do to be about that task.
If I want to make a web page/site, I want everything I do to be about that task.
If I wanted to make a book, I want everything I do to be about making that book.

What makes creating a book pleasurable and easy is entirely missing from this discussion, instead we seem focused on the possibility rather than ease of execution. It is ease of execution that makes a great product rather than a merely functional one.

Personally, I could care less for functional products. I buy products that make tasks easy, or easier, or pleasurable. Preferably easy and pleasurable.

You could make a book using MS paint by creating bitmap images of every page.

While Xara software can do lots of things, including making books, in many ways it's a bit like me hitting a couple of nails the other day with a spanner because my hammer was missing. It worked but it was a kludge.

I'm no expert. The last time I created a book-like document I wanted master pages, left and right facing, automatic chapter numbering, content-page and index-creation, automated flows as content changed, easy change gutters and columns. Those kind of things that are important for a book but not of consequence for any other document.

Charles, I'm frankly shocked that you don't see what's missing or why Xara software isn't great for producing books.

When Xara Studio 1.0 came out I was gobsmacked. It did something I couldn't do with other software at an affordable price-point. Now there's plenty of choice and the all-in-one solution idea looks increasingly wobbly as the ease of use is compromised by the jack-of-all-trades compromise.

Unlike most users of Xara software I see website creation and book creation as assembly activities. I don't suddenly start creating graphics as I'm building a web page or creating a book. Xara software doesn't support the basic workflow of book-building, even if it facilitates it.