Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default How complex a website can it do?

Just wondering what size websites can be built with Xara? What is the max number of pages, including photos and other memory consuming features can it accommodate? Also does it link to graphics or it has to embed everything (using more memory)?

Love to hear challenges that users have faced working on client websites. I know cms is something that is being worked on in the newer version of xara and it is ongoing, would it really serve the purpose or using a cms like wordpress be better that can also manage a database and take advantage of more plugins?

Default Re: How complex a website can it do?

The first two questions are a bit of a cop out.
    Why can't you experiment and see what adding pictures and pages actually does?

You can link to graphics. Lots of TG Posts recently so have a trawl - google > site:www.talkgraphics.com/ embed.

Never hear a thing about CMS. There is an on-line editor capability for text and images in beta. It's not CMS.
    It not going to happen as most people that xara is targeting don't understand about the non-persistence of a web page unless you are using a back-end server hosted by an ISP.

Xara is slowly moving functionality on-line any CMS is a long way off (Xara - prove me wrong - please).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Just wondering what size websites can be built with Xara? What is the max number of pages, including photos and other memory consuming features can it accommodate? Also does it link to graphics or it has to embed everything (using more memory)?

Love to hear challenges that users have faced working on client websites. I know cms is something that is being worked on in the newer version of xara and it is ongoing, would it really serve the purpose or using a cms like wordpress be better that can also manage a database and take advantage of more plugins?
    I don;t think Xara can handle too much complexity, your better with something else.

Quote Originally Posted by nazf355 View Post
    I don;t think Xara can handle too much complexity, your better with something else.
    Compared with what?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Compared with what?

Acorn
    Wordpress, Joomla, Modx, WebPlus, hand coded

Nazf355 I disagree. XARA is an amazing tool. You just need to understand it better and what great things you can do with it. However, having said that, I am still learning this platform. I have been using these types of web design platforms since 1998. In which I have built a website with 1000's of pages. But I have found that one needs to design the website where each category is it's on web site and than the main landing page has links to each category within the multiple web site design. This way if something happens, you can reinstall that one section rather than the whole web site. Plus, when you design it in categories, the upload time is faster. Please you have any other questions about large web site, please feel free to ask..

Quote Originally Posted by Head Coach View Post
    Nazf355 I disagree. XARA is an amazing tool. You just need to understand it better and what great things you can do with it. However, having said that, I am still learning this platform. I have been using these types of web design platforms since 1998. In which I have built a website with 1000's of pages. But I have found that one needs to design the website where each category is it's on web site and than the main landing page has links to each category within the multiple web site design. This way if something happens, you can reinstall that one section rather than the whole web site. Plus, when you design it in categories, the upload time is faster. Please you have any other questions about large web site, please feel free to ask..
    This may be possible but it is not right. Also the OPs question isn't just about size but complexity, including features and database facilities.

If you're looking for plugins like WP and databases, and specialized coding, then we're not talking Xara -- but what you can do is build a website with Xara, and then use code to manipulate the site and add additional features, including databases, yadayada. SEO is also a bit lacking with Xara, but possible. But a CMS, it is not.

RE: SEO. Are you saying it is not automatic?
    Or are you saying there is not an easy way to do the things that Godaddy's seo tells me needs done?
    Sorry, i am a doofus on SEO. My only experience was with Serif's Webplus *, which was difficult to use. Thanks

SEO is not automatic, per se

If you create a page, give it a page title, a page description and appropriate content, then that is effectively all you need to do.
    You can then build on this, for example Google uses over 200 factors to determine your site's rank in its search results, some of these are on site as mentioned above and other are off-site like backlinks. You need to look at SEO from as many points as you can to get the best results.