Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Double page/facing page

Dear all!

It's nice to have double page option but there are some problems to use this option on 4 or more-sided brochure. The problem is that in this option the last document page always need to be on the place of the 1 page on spread. No office printer could understand such page order and there is some work to prepare the document for proper page order before print/press.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara_double_page.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	4.8 KB 
ID:	109505

The "first" page in the first doublepage spread should not be visible and the "last" page on the last spread should not be visible too.

Best regards,
    Jakob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Double page/facing page

I could see a need for both layout options. +1 indeed.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Other than using an imposition plug-in for Acrobat, I never prepare PDFs for anything other than in Reader Order (single page A-Z order).

Adobe Reader & Acrobat, as well as most all PDF readers, can output as a booklet properly (presuming the requisite number of pages is met). Many/most better Office printers also have built-in booklet functions.

Mike

BTW, I didn't mean to detract from the request.

DTP-type of features need to be added and those that more or less exist, need revamped or fleshed out in order for XDP to be useful for such work.

In a vector editing application such as XDP, I design using a page size of the trim size, add bleed if required, and simply arrange the material as needed.

Most all the time, I will use a page layout application in preference to any vector application for layout. I'll still output in single page reader spreads, and if I want a proof printed using one of my printers, I will either use the Print Booklet function in Acrobat/Reader, or actually impose using the Acrobat plug-in (especially when there are cross-over graphics/images).

Mike

I can't think of any commercial printers (including us) who will want imposed pdf files. Simply supply 1-up and the printer will do the impostion.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Having the ability to convert a document to booklet layout after the fact is all well and fine, but the ability to see things in a double-page spread while doing the layout has value on its own, especially when trying to balance artwork placement. In other words, the view itself is more important to me than output options.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Which is why I use a page size equal to the trim size as mentioned for a quickie brochure.

BTW, this is doable in XDP. One cannot use the All Pages the Same in the page options. So each page needs to be made the proper size individually.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture-003509.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	109509
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mwenz that is it!
    It seems like a lot of noise about nothing.

Regards

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I use Xara to do a 4 page handout all the time I use the double page spread and I layout page 4 on the left side of the first double page spread and page 1 on the right.I add a second double page spread for pages 2 and 3 the handouts are printed on single sheets of 11X17 paper and printed double sided. This is called a folio layout which is useful for printing booklets etc as the pages will be in correct order when printed collated and folded. While it's not difficult to do small brochures and hand outs this way, but doing a lot of pages is a headache as the page order is not a straight forward 1,2,3 What would be nice would be a way to automate this so you would enter the number of pages in your booklet and your folios would be created for you as numbered facing pages and also to complete the feature a way to autmatically swtitch from folios to single pages in a 1,2,3 order. This way you could create booklets that can easily be printed and converted to export as pdfs and to add to this an ebook export feature would be nice.

I know I'm dreaming here but hey we finally got the art brushes!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.