Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hi!
    I'm doing alot of architecture drawings on turbocad & autocad. I would love to import these drawings into Xara as a vector based drawing.
    Can anyone share some tip on how this can be done?
    Thanks.

Hi!
    I'm doing alot of architecture drawings on turbocad & autocad. I would love to import these drawings into Xara as a vector based drawing.
    Can anyone share some tip on how this can be done?
    Thanks.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Export from the cad program a wmf (windows meta file). It can then be imported into Xara. It may come in practically invisable - you may have to give it a line colour, line weight, and resize it. Typically they come in as a group of lines. Unfortunately they are only lines - no shapes.

I will often put those lines on their own layer and lock it (make it uneditable). I then draw on layers behind that layer so the linework is unobscured. Very good results can be achieved.

Note that the wmf export from the cad program can contain many many thousands of objects when brought into Xara. It can slow things down a lot! I find it a good idea to make sure you aren't exporting any text (unless you are working on a logo [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]). Cad fonts when converted to wmf contain unbelievable numbers of objects. A single sentance can be hundreds if not thousands of objects once imported into Xara via the wmf route. All those objects can slow Xara's fast redraw to a crawl. It is usually time efficient to recreate any notes etc. in xara.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>