Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Is slow loading of Designer Pro 11 Normal

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymopar View Post
    as my kids would sing......it's all about that cache, 'bout that cache......
    Money don't get everything, yes, that's true...
    But what it don't get, I can't use...
    Oh, gimme Skylake, that's what I want
    Oh, gimme Haswell, that's what I want...

Your OOB experience is quite like mine, Mikeymopar: about 20s the first time, subsequent times about 10s.

I have a solution, though: only load Xara the second time.

Brilliant, eh?

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    [I]Your OOB experience is quite like mine, Mikeymopar: about 20s the first time, subsequent times about 10s.

I have a solution, though: only load Xara the second time.

Brilliant, eh?
    beauty of an idea - and that's why you're titled "Super Moderator"

if someone can work that into XaReg maybe they can help me out on my quest to get my version to have menu items spelled (or spelt) like in @xhris tutorials (colour, centre,...)

@Ron Duke - i don't know if previously you were running DP10 before the DP11 upgrade or some other version. also don't know if dp10 was 32bit or 64bit or optionally either (i jumped from P&GD10 to DP11). i guess what i'm getting at is you might notice a big difference in times since a machine set up to run 32bit will have less ram than a 64bit machine. it keeps seeming to be a ram/cache issue

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymopar View Post
    beauty of an idea - and that's why you're titled "Super Moderator"

if someone can work that into XaReg maybe they can help me out on my quest to get my version to spell things like in @xhris tutorials (colour, centre,...)

@Ron Duke - i don't know if previously you were running DP10 before the DP11 upgrade or some other version. also don't know if dp10 was 32bit or 64bit or optionally either. i guess what i'm getting at is you might notice a big difference in times since a machine set up to run 32bit will have less ram than a 64bit machine. it keeps seeming to be a ram/cache issue
    Well, I was running 64bit with vs 10, but I do only have 4gigs of RAM. So maybe that's it then.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Well, I was running 64bit with vs 10, but I do only have 4gigs of RAM. So maybe that's it then.
    definitely. DP11 is a pure 64bit beast. dollars to donuts it's hunting for memory and using hard drive space to cache

Running a 64bit program with 4GB ram...must be REALLY sluggish...as Windows probably uses 2GB for itself!!
    I have 12GB and just get by (my opinion)
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

idling along at 1.6 GB out of 8 GB [strictly 7.9 GB after low-level system requirement deducted] - windows 10 home

xdpx11 takes around 20 secs to load first time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	memories are made of this.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	109470  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ron, a new board (yeah, I'm talking hypothetical dollars here) could possibly fit your current case, and if not, you can get a decent case with a decent P/S for about $100 to $150 and up. Instead of adding RAM to your current machine, get a new processor and DDR4s for memory. There's no equity in buying RAM to fit an older board.

A Haswell architecture will run you about $300 at newegg.com, 22nm as opposed to the Skylake 14 nm, but Intel is having production and distribution problems, so the best of the compromises is the Haswell is being "cleared out" to make way for a processor that doesn't really exist yet.

Now go tell me to fly a kite.Name:  smsmirk.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  4.1 KB

opening xara pushes that up to 1.9 GB

edit - oh and if we are talking processor, its an intel core i3 laptop
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks everyone.
    I need to find someone local that can sit down with me and let me show them what I've got and what my problems are and then instruct me on what I need to get/do.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

pretty much identical to my performance stats @handrawn
    the part that'll hurt someone with 4G ram is the cache usage also jumps up, at least on mine, .8G besides what is being used "live"
    on boot, cache use is 1.8G. start xara, cache jumps to 2.6G and holds even after quitting xara
    connect to the internet and my cache used jumps to 4.9G

4G ram just ain't gonna cut it anymore
    by the way, i'm running a i7 quad core which doesn't really help with speedy times with just one app as much as having available ram
    that said, i also started android studio and started compiling an app and my ssd kicked in to make up for needing more cache space than my 8g ram could allocate. xara still started in about 12 seconds.

and ditto to @gare's post if you just wanna update your current machine
    Last edited by mikeymopar; 15 August 2015 at 11:37 PM.