Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: self portrait

Default Re: self portrait

Just my 2¢, I think I've only ever done a portrait in Xara once (incredibly dates back to 2001 so it has little to do with the version of Xara used and more to do with the observational skills of the user). It was some unnamed model from a magazine photo so it was simply copy copy copy using the Xara skills we've all developed when we copy from still life, be it an inkwell, a pocket knife or a human face, it's just that the human face contains many more margins for error (because the human eye is very unforgiving about errors in artwork of faces), but the principles remain the same: observe observe observe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portrait_woman.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	109400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skintones.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	109401
    (the background is a photo)

I never did any other portraits, most probably because they are by implication labours of love and immensely time-consuming. Maybe also because I just wasn't happy with the final result. It's maybe less rewarding but so much more fun to do an animation of some wire mesh which takes less time and raises a smile...

Name:	walking_mesh.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	109402
    Last edited by Big Frank; 11 August 2015 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Lack of observation
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Hiya, long time no see, BF—

Your portrait, even though it's from 14 years ago, is a definite winner. You're too critical of your work, something that's very common on tg. Me, I'd hang it on my gallery here. The mesh animation is very, very funny, and it should have its own thread: Surrealistic but humourous animations, or some such.

One of the things that thwarts and artist from doing accurate portraits (yes, you nailed it) is the misleading qualities of the human brain as it interprets a real life subject. Humans (and most insects) are attracted to bright colours—just look at what Unilever does for packaging in an attempt to appeal to our "love" of saturated colours.

However, unsaturated colours about in the real world, and our drawing fail to capture the nuances in a human face because we interpret the colours in the face as brighter than they really are, we therefore create a narrower color space than is really needed, and one of the results is lack of contrast in a drawing, be it physical or digital. I'd recommend that someone find or create a skin palette for Xara, so artists can concentrate only on the skin, to give it the subsurface luminosity it deserves and all that.

Look at this screen cap of Meagan Kelly (reporter on Fox News, Fair Use, she's a public figure): she's photographed is strong light with the appropriate amount of stage makeup. Now, wouldn't you expect her face to be all brilliant, saturated colours? I used Xara's eyedropper on a random portion of her face, and the result is a dull brown, only 132 of a Saturation scale of 0-255, almost half the possible Saturation.

Name:	Meegan Kelly.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	109403

My only conclusion I can offer when drawing faces (Big Frank did a fantastic job, BTW) is import the photo to Xara and then eyedropper the photo at every stage of drawing to ensure you're not using the deceptive qualities of the human eye-to-brain system.

My Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gare View Post
    import the photo to Xara and then eyedropper the photo at every stage of drawing to ensure you're not using the deceptive qualities of the human eye-to-brain system
    Thanks Gary

It is this method that I use and it is this method that makes me realise time and again when copying from photographed objects such as your Meagan Kelly that what we see is surprisingly different to what we are looking at. And that, Frances, probably explains the 'flatness' of your image. Take a selfie in a contrasting setting and copy that: you're bound to have both more fun and more success, ergo more satisfaction.

Or do an animated mesh... each to her own.
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Traditionally (which might mean "extinct notion in 2015") men have enjoyed harsher lighting in portraits than women, who aren't supposed to have one laugh line in a portrait (okay, I'm exaggerating a little). Use medium lighting to then draw a portrait: shading without an excess of hard shadows.

Shadow cast from chin to neck for women=okay, unless your chin is not pronounced.

Shadow cast from nose to face= yes, helps define the bottom of the nose.

Shadows under the eyes=no. Use makeup, or use softer lighting.

Darkness above the eyes=yes, use makeup under most conditions. It helps define the eye and emphasize "deep eyes".

I hope this addendum to Frank's tome above helps you Frances, and anyone else interested in selfies you draw in Xara.

Look at male portraits that Annie Liebowitz has done for decades. She's merciless with hard lighting and the pics are outstanding. Avadon did some nice, hard males (males are supposed to be chiseled and strong) in his time.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by Big Frank View Post
    Just my 2¢, I think I've only ever done a portrait in Xara once (incredibly dates back to 2001 so it has little to do with the version of Xara used and more to do with the observational skills of the user). It was some unnamed model from a magazine photo so it was simply copy copy copy using the Xara skills we've all developed when we copy from still life, be it an inkwell, a pocket knife or a human face, it's just that the human face contains many more margins for error (because the human eye is very unforgiving about errors in artwork of faces), but the principles remain the same: observe observe observe.

Name:	portrait_woman.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	109400Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skintones.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	109401
    (the background is a photo)

I never did any other portraits, most probably because they are by implication labours of love and immensely time-consuming. Maybe also because I just wasn't happy with the final result. It's maybe less rewarding but so much more fun to do an animation of some wire mesh which takes less time and raises a smile...

Name:	walking_mesh.gif 
Views:	151 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	109402
    Excellent rendering Frank. Fine example.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

BF, that's a beautiful piece of work. I bet you put a few hours into that one. Love the walking wire mesh. Good to hear from you again.

Hi Frank, beautiful examples. The animation is both humorous and well done, the portrait outstanding. Anyway it's good tosee you posting. Your examples just show how immensly talented you are.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Thanks to all for the examples and suggestions. Doing the self portrait was a good learning experience The hair was actually the easiest part of the whole thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I think it's really cool that you took this on, Frances. You're a good example to follow.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Thank you all for saving my seat whilst I was away
    Avoiding Manual Labour.