Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: self portrait

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default self portrait

I decided to have a go at doing subtle shading to create a human face so I created this self portrait. I used a mirror for reference (I haven't spent this much time with one since I was a teenager! ) I did the hair with a custom artbrush. The nose still doesn't seem right to me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	self portrait.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	109287  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Default Re: self portrait

I know what you're saying, but I definitely think you're on the right track. I find, more than any other part of the human anatomy, that faces are the most difficult by far. The very subtle nuances of shapes and shading in the face are ultra sensitive, if that makes any sense.
    I've reworked the facial features of the car hop in my drawing "Burger Spot" several times, merely to end up settling because I can't figure out what else to do; and that's with a created face, not an actual person like you're doing.
    I've learned a lot over the years about drawing cars, not near perfection, but I feel I've improved a lot, but people are a whole nuther animal!
    Keep up the good work. You can do it.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Perhaps the shading is too subtle. Defign the planes of the face a bit more. Just what I hope are helpful suggestions. Oh sure that's easy for me to say.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Boy Francis, you're getting good with that art brush. I really like what you have done with the hair. Hair is my kryptonite in Xara. I cannot offer any suggestions in this area. I don't do well with any of the human anatomy. Lord knows I've tried. I admire the people that can.

Paul

That's good, France's.

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    The nose still doesn't seem right to me
    Frances, this is because you haven't defined a light source in your work yet.

If, for example, you decided the light was coming at the subject from upper left, a shadow would be cast from the nose a little to lower right.

But overall, I'm just answering a question, and now I need to get to the "congratulations" part.

Nice, solid work, shows a lot of effort, you're going to become the Queen of the Art Brushes very soon!

My Best,

Gary

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Here is an updated version of my portrait. I've made a bunch of little changes from reducing the size of the pupils to adding highlights and shading to the hair and face ( I think the nose looks better now) One of the things I battled while doing this was my own insecurities. It is sometimes hard to see ourselves as others see us. Where I see crows feet and frown lines My husband sees beauty (sometimes I think he's a tad biased though!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selfportraitupdated.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	109339  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Frances,
    Stark improvement on the shading, nose, EYES, glasses. Nicely improved!
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Better Frances.
    I think you may be missing an area below the lower lip that is darker and the chin should protrude a bit more.

Here is an image I found on the web from dream time to show what I am referring to if it helps.

Attachment 109344

Your hair is marvelous.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Frances, I'm actually friends with people who don't use Xara (!): a friend of mine who uses CorelDRAW let me take a copy of this picture to post for you.

My observations, meant to be helpful to you and anyone, are these:

• Most of the effort and detail is spent on the eyes.

• The least amount of time is spent on the hair and it's stylized.

• There is no strong light source, and yet the play between light and dark is inviting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	portrait.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	109386

My friend's work reminded me a little of Patrick Nagel who died at age 38 (in the 12980s), who was on a meteoric rise, assisted by Playboy Magazine—um, his subjects occasionally were female nudes but so highly stylized I wouldn't hesitate to leave his art out for the kids to see. Hard edge, high contrast, posterized, flowing lines from Art Nouveau influence (not in the least Toulouse).

It ain't a bad style to emulate using Xara. Here's a PG example portrait used by The New York Times under the Fair Use copyright laws.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NagelPortrait.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	109387

You can Google his website which is in disrepair but contains many fine artistic example NSFW if your boss is a stodge and like fig leaves all over sculptures...even those of fruit.

Just my 2˘, in hopes of helping guide aspiring portrait artists. Art Nouveau is a really easy path in Xara to follow and grow,

My Best,

Gary