Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: XDP11 Bug: Button Palette blanks out

As has been said many times in the past The light UI is not supported by Xara, which means when bugs with it crop up the likelihood of fixes is slim, they have just left access to it, and they could very well remove that access in new versions if it becomes too unstable as new features and code changes are implemented. I would recommend getting used to the dark UI because one day the light one may not be there. That being said I may add a feature request to the wishlist for colour changes to the dark UI to reduce eyestrain.

What dark (Please don't just say the light colours!) colour combinations would be helpful to those who experience eyestrain with the dark UI Is there another program who's Dark UI is comfortable for you? maybe post a screenshot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I'll say this just once more, then I must go 'tis past midnight here - you do not get bugs in unsupported software, you get just get consequences... a bug is a mistake that needs fixing and neither of these things occur in unsupported, or more technically in this case depreciated, software

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Mike yes, using a file properly is cool; renaming so the program can't find it, is not
    Some of the colors used in the interface, the dark supported interface, are kept in an XML files. I am not talking about the unsupported light interface nor about deleting anything.

It is just that most of the interface colors are hardwired in the code. If those hardwired values were moved to the XML file then people could color to their hearts content.

What mwenz suggests is smarter than you might think. I used a music program that allowed people to recolor everything on the screen easily. Once that version of the software was released, the forum was quickly jammed with dozens and dozens of downloadable color themes made by the users; in fact, they made a contest of it. It added tons of energy to the forum and was a lot of fun. Good marketing too, me thinks. The themes ranged from beautiful to hideous. Lots of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by handrawn
    Mike yes, using a file properly is cool; renaming so the program can't find it, is not
    Some of the colors used in the interface, the dark supported interface, are kept in an XML files. I am not talking about the unsupported light interface nor about deleting anything.

It is just that most of the interface colors are hardwired in the code. If those hardwired values were moved to the XML file then people could color to their hearts content.
    yes I realise what you meant mike - my comment was a general one about doing things properly instead of hacking.. and doing things properly is indeed to change the supported UI, not revert back to legacy and hope the coding for the new is parsed [interpreted] ok by the old - the fact that the old UI is producing new buttons but struggling to keep them stable says it all....

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    What dark (Please don't just say the light colours!) colour combinations would be helpful to those who experience eyestrain with the dark UI Is there another program who's Dark UI is comfortable for you? maybe post a screenshot.
    Nice idea, Frances. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any dark UI that's comfortable. I just don't use applications with dark UIs. They require too much effort. Xara's dark UI isn't as harsh as it used to be, but I still can't stay in it for long.

Quote Originally Posted by amoore View Post
    Nice idea, Frances. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any dark UI that's comfortable. I just don't use applications with dark UIs. They require too much effort. Xara's dark UI isn't as harsh as it used to be, but I still can't stay in it for long.
    I'm with you on this. The first thing I did when I installing XDP, Paint Shop Pro, heck even InDesign, was to change the interface color. Those latter two have much better support for it than Xara does (and as much as I hate InDesign in general, I have to give them credit for allowing me to set exactly how light I want the interface to be with a slider).

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Don't Photoshop and Illustrator have dark UIs? Or do they allow you to set them? I'm thinking that I'm going to add editable UI colours into the survey.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Don't Photoshop and Illustrator have dark UIs? Or do they allow you to set them? I'm thinking that I'm going to add editable UI colours into the survey.
    Adobe products install with the dark interface active. But they use a slider to adjust the interface colors to one's preference. This is more or less the same method for other applications I use.

As I have been hammering on about, it shouldn't be an either or light/dark scheme. It should be adjustable, even if that means Xara uses the XML file that is present for a few settings. It wouldn't take much effort on their behalf compared to creating a user adjustable method.

Mike

It might take more work to implement but a user adjustable method like the sliders would be more in keeping with Xara's easy to use easy to learn approach. But when I put together the survey it will include adjustable UI colour settings in general so the higher folks rate it the better.

I totally agree that customisable is much better than either or and we would finally be able to put the Dark/light UI disagreements to rest once and for all
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]