Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anyone have Windows 10 yet

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you are having trouble with the update/reservation process you can download win10 directly from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

the mediacreationtool app has the advantage that not only can you manually update a qualifying computer for free you can also download a win10 ISO for burning to DVD [upwards of 3GB]
    Good link, Steve.

But, there doesn't seem to be an option to choose whether you want just Windows10 or Windows10 Pro?
    Is there likely to be a difference?
    My guess is yes.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

hi Rik

when you run the app and choose the [free] upgrade option it will make that choice for you of course

if you chose the option to download to ISO you get to choose language - home/pro - 32/64bit [but note when you download the app you need to choose 32/64bit as appropriate for the computer you will be running it on]

if you make an ISO you will need a license when you come to clean install from it - cannot download a pro ISO and use it to update a win7/8 home directly to pro [at least I assume not, not actually tried it ]

Hi,
    I installed it last night..I had a reserved copy but didn't know it was available until I checked Update history and had 4 fail attempts...so had to manually go fetch the installation app. Took 2 hrs to install. then another 10 minutes when I rebooted this morning repairing c: drive. All went well on picking up my programs and registration keys.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Guys and Gals:
    My bad.

When you follow the link in Steve's post, it states:
    Select edition

Windows 10 editions below are valid for both Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

you can use the downloaded ISO to make a DVD or USB upgrade disk/stick - if you want to do this you need to then run it from within a qualifying win7/8 system...

FWIW, I do not have Windows 10 yet.

no rush unless you desperately want it free right now.. I didn't get the nvidia trouble I was expecting - win10 just said update failed and that was that [so far]; it's up to date as far as nvidia is concerned but I am not running 'gforce experience'

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I decided to go ahead and try it but the installation keeps failing so I guess it's not happening tonight
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Hi Angelize,
    I had it 'reserved' and when I went to Windows Update to review installed updates-it showed that Windows 10 had failed to install 4 times yesterday..so I went to Microsoft site and downloaded the installer ...then spent 2:20 hrs installing...but only had to update my Logitech web cam..everything else was there.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Does anyone know what data you lose when upgrading (rather than a clean install) to 10? I'm guessing we'll keep our "My Documents" folder data. But do we also keep programs that were installed on the OS drive or do we need to reinstall those?