Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anyone have Windows 10 yet

If you upgrade all your installed programs and all your data files are retained (for example Xara Designer and all your XAR files).

I've upgraded a Surface Pro 3 but the upgrade won't work on my big Dell box. (I always get the error 80070002 20009.) I've tried various fixes and troubleshooters but no luck so far. The next best advice on the net is to disconnect the second Hard Drive and try again.

Phil

Disconnecting my second hard drive for the duration of the upgrade worked so I'm now running Win10. So far everything seems to be working properly and, for the record, I haven't seen any problems with my nVidia graphics card or my dual monitor setup.

Phil

Thanks Phil. Just out of curiosity, do you need to disconnect your second hard drive to keep the programs on it? I'm assuming you're talking about a secondary drive that contains data and programs in addition to the primary (OS) drive.

It's only necessary to disconnect your secondary hard drive if the upgrade fails with a "80070002" error.

If you don't have that problem then just go ahead and upgrade with all your drives connected - the upgrade retains your data and your installed programs.

Phil

if anyone is using classic shell on win 8.1 I'd advise you uninstall before trying to update to win10 - that did cause it to fall over on my laptop...

I see, thanks.

Hey!
    We now get 6 timer balls, in Windows 10.
    Exciting, eh?!

They're obviously quite expensive, because, you don't get 6 everywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 13.44.57.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	7.8 KB 
ID:	109267  

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Well my W10 experience has been messy with lots of failed attempts.

This, however, worked:

1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
    2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
    3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

This forced a clean upgrade that worked.

Before you try this, I suggest you check the Web against and error codes you might have and treat everything not on MS's web areas with caution.

Hey Ho, onto my other machines.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

being a traditionalist I'm still using control panel a lot rather than the settings dialogs which are cute, at least compared to win 8, but often simplistic

I am still running Windows 7, but have 10 reserved. Why am I reluctant to install 10, I don't know. Having read all the posts on TG about the possible loss of privacy issues gives me pause. Sure sounds like you guy aren't worried about that. Do you find it worth doing?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.