Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Xara and windows 10?

I can only speak from my experience.

I loaded Windows 10 onto my laptop this morning. It went smoothly and loaded up okay.

All of my Xara stuff, including my Designer ProX 11 trial all work smoothly. I'm sure some items and drivers etc on other people's laptops etc may have problems but mine was a smooth as chocolate.

On a site note I have just had two people get back to me, virtually at the same time today, to ask me to do a lot of graphic work for them.

So although one poster on this forum thinks that if we use Xara and haven't got a Phd in graphic design we are con-men and amateurs, I will be purchasing this upgrade so I can carry on doing awful, dishonest and amateurish work.

Oh and I still do free work for the NHS to...I'm practically evil.

Thank you

I am not sure the Win10 upgrade is working too well many are getting an error message in particular the one I got code 80240020 something regarding system reserve.. It looks normal to me.. I am not sure why do we have to deactivate XDP11? What happens if we don't?

read the thread I linked at post #8 above - Rob explains it

from what David Strover said here, it may not apply if you are using the trial because that is not fully activated; but once the program is fully activated you can only:

a] deactivate/reactivate from within the program [help menu] at any time
    b]deactivate/reactivate on xara website, but only after 30 days from last activation for that computer

you change the operating system then you change the computer as far as the program is concerned and it will automatically deactivate revert to an non activated state may be a better way of putting it - so unless you deactivate first or wait until the end of the 30 day period, you will lose the use of the program on that computer [until the 30 day period has run out, when you can then reactivate on the xara website]

that said, it is only my understanding based on what Rob said; I don't work for xara

Just to see if I have this right.. My paid for version of XDP11 if I deactivate it before installing windows10, I can reactivate it without waiting 30 days... Is that right?

if you deactivate it from within the program help

that is what Rob said

My now paid for version of Designer Pro X 11 is working fine. I'm mystified by all the complaints I'm seeing, everything works fine and as per usual.

I've even got Cortana working properly now, but I've used it once and I can't see me using it any more, I'm not that lazy. I'm not sure how to implement the face-recognition thingy but again I'm not that fussed, so I'll sort it out slowly.

The only thing I noticed from the myriad of complaints on Facebook [mainly] is that some people seem to be very impatient, it took a long, long time to load up entirely on my wife's laptop and it did look like it was hanging, but it wasn't. She was patient and didn't not start tapping keys or trying to shut down things or check stuff and it eventually loaded and is fine.

I do feel there is a lot of 'I hate Microsoft so I'm going to complain no matter what' but having said that if you've got a fault, you've got a fault I guess.

My betting is the complaints and faults will peter out eventually. After all the last Apple OS update messed up half of my stuff on my Macbook Air but social media was fairly silent over that.

I'm not a fanboy of either huge company, that makes loads and loads of money and doesn't need my publicity and I find those type of 'wars' on the Internet, very, very strange.

I liked the preview - the only complaint is that there is no option to be notified before download of updates - there is a metered connection option which allows you to postpone updates on paid for bandwidth, but it only works for wifi not ethernet connections

the operating system itself seemed very smooth and stable, [as was 8.1 once you got it de-metro'd, better than win 7], and it has gone back to a more desktop-friendly UI

ok and just for balance here's a point of view:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...r-suckers.html

there may well be theething problems, there always to be expected...

Thanks for the info Handrawn think I will wait till sometime next year. Have had no notification yet that I can download it yet!
    Design is thinking made visual.