Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Just Release: Xara Designer Pro X11

Hi Rob, I may have been unclear in my post which you quote, for which I apologise, but here's what I said "...it has all the new P&GD features, plus...auto hyphenation..."
    So I was aware of all the great new features, but for those who already have the previous release, it's possible to get by without Designer Pro and go for the cheaper option of purchasing Photo & Graphic Designer and only forego the auto hyphenation feature, which I am happy to do. Of course, I appreciate that there are implications concerning future upgrades which may cost more as a result of skipping the latest Designer Pro.
    For my own purposes, I am willing to pass on
    Designer Pro this time, as I don't use the Web features at all and using my current version of Designer Pro alongside Photo & Graphic Designer seems to be a good solution for me.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I have a feeling TG will be dominated by spirals and fancy brushes, for some time to come!

Tested both DPX11 64 and 32 bit versions with Magix Video Pro X7 and DPX11 fails to open. P&GD11 worked ok when opened from VPX7 (except for advancing the video). With DPX11 installed, VPX7 tries to open it rather than P&GD11, so I am faced with not purchasing DPX11, which I would really like, and purchasing P&GD11 plus WD11 instead, unless Magix/Xara can get DPX11 to work nicely with the video editors. I cannot advance on my videos that use Xara overlays and masks so long as DPX11 is installed. I have raised a ticket with Magix about this, but not with Xara.

I am quite disappointed. At least DPX11 installs on my computer, whereas DPX10 refuses.

For iamtheblues, DPX11 comes in 32 and 64bit versions, whereas P&GD11 is only 32, as far as I know. I was able to get "out of memory" errors with P&GD11 fairly quickly. I have 16GB of RAM that cannot be accessed by the 32bit version.

Bought XDP11 yesterday, installed and activated it as soon as I got home from work. Started setting up my usual preferences, saved a new default template, quit out. Opened it back up, and... crash. Rebooted, opened it again, and the same thing. I was about to go through uninstalling and reinstalling, but I noticed that it seemed to crash while loading settings from default template, so I went in and renamed the file I'd just created. Opened the program again, got a message that there was no default template, but no crash. Excellent. Created a new document, saved it was default template. Everything works fine now. Looking forward to jumping in and playing around with the new brushes.

So there's something to be learned here. Sometimes a problem has a simple solution.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Tested both DPX11 64 and 32 bit versions with Magix Video Pro X7 and DPX11 fails to open. P&GD11 worked ok when opened from VPX7 (except for advancing the video). With DPX11 installed, VPX7 tries to open it rather than P&GD11, so I am faced with not purchasing DPX11, which I would really like, and purchasing P&GD11 plus WD11 instead, unless Magix/Xara can get DPX11 to work nicely with the video editors. I cannot advance on my videos that use Xara overlays and masks so long as DPX11 is installed. I have raised a ticket with Magix about this, but not with Xara.
    Stop the presses! I tried Magix Movie Edit Pro (MEP) 2014 and got as far as Xara opening, then closing instead of continuing. I hadn't tried MEP2015 Premium, so I just tried it, and lo and behold, Xara DPX11 opened with the video image. So I tried VPX7 again, and it worked as well. I am dumbfounded. Somehow the programs sorted themselves out. There are still some issues, it seems, but at least I get the two programs to work together and I can continue with my video. Now if they can just get the animation part sorted out.

On with the testing.

John
    Last edited by browj2; 21 July 2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Further test results

PanStudio2 came with DPX10. Does it also come with DPX11? On the Features Compare list, I see "Advanced Panorama Studio," which only comes with DPX11 (another addition not available in the individual programs). Can I presume that this is the same as PanStudio2?

Thanks,
    John

I think I'm later than anyone else!
    And I know that lots of you have already been playing with it.

Just had a look at the new Brush gallery.
    What a great addition and choice to something that was really very lacking.

Thanks, Xara.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Is it me, or does the new v.11 seem a bit like chicken feed? What I mean is, if you are a user of Photo & Graphic Designer, you get lots of nice shiny new features, and a few weeks later along comes the flagship program and, OK, it has all the new P&GD features, plus...auto hyphenation. Anyone else underwhelmed by this fact?
    Bob.
    If all 3 products had been released at the same time then there would be the wow factor which would give XDP users the immediate desire to upgrade. But because we already know what is coming when XDP is released we are left thinking "auto-hypenation? is that all I'm getting for my Pro purchase?"

I will be upgrading my XDP to version from X10 to X11 as I do every year, but the yearly releases just aren't as exciting as they used to be.

Rich
    Authentic IT - Web Design and IT Consultancy, Penzance

Quote Originally Posted by digitalphaser View Post

When line converted to shape I get a 192dpi bitmap. Why 192dpi?
    probably because that is the retina display standard dpi [2x 96dpi]

can always try drawing big and reducing down after converting to increase the dpi - that was one of the first things I tried

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    probably because that is the retina display standard dpi [2x 96dpi]
    Yes, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    can always try drawing big and reducing down after converting to increase the dpi - that was one of the first things I tried
    But it does not help me. I rarely work with mixed documents. Alternatively, the vector or bitmap.
    For raster I have thousands of Photoshop brushes. In Xara, I would like to see the vector brushes.
    A huge disappointment.