Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Just Release: Xara Designer Pro X11

Great to see the pro version being released. Congrats

Is it me, or does the new v.11 seem a bit like chicken feed? What I mean is, if you are a user of Photo & Graphic Designer, you get lots of nice shiny new features, and a few weeks later along comes the flagship program and, OK, it has all the new P&GD features, plus...auto hyphenation. Anyone else underwhelmed by this fact?
    Bob.
    Edit: I don't want to sound churlish, but there seems to be no good reason (apart from auto hyphenation of course) to upgrade, if you already have v.10 you can buy the latest P&GD for far less and suffer the loss of the auto hyphenation feature.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 21 July 2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

it's a point bob...

but then you cannot set your own keystrokes, or use other pro specific features like 'alt-drag select' when using the new features in p&g11

ok if you are new and you just want the new drawing features, and you don't need the pro only features that already exist, or any of the web etc stuff.. then you buy p&g11

I agree, Steve, but nothing stops one running both the above-mentioned programs in conjunction with each other.
    (see how I made my very own auto hyphenation just then?)
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

yes of course if you are happy to switch between

but for me for example humble though it may seem, the alt-drag select is the selection method I use the most and I would find it really difficult to work well without it; ditto having my own defined keystrokes; so it's worth the £89 upgrade on that basis rather than the £45 for p&g11 [offer prices upgrading from ver 8]
    Last edited by handrawn; 21 July 2015 at 09:22 AM. Reason: ver 8

Hi Gary, is it possible for you to upload your file or a simplified version which includes the two sticky objects on the top of the screen? The nav bar and the Xara DP11 Header please? It's viewing incorrectly for me in Internet Explorer and need to find out why

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Is it me, or does the new v.11 seem a bit like chicken feed? What I mean is, if you are a user of Photo & Graphic Designer, you get lots of nice shiny new features, and a few weeks later along comes the flagship program and, OK, it has all the new P&GD features, plus...auto hyphenation. Anyone else underwhelmed by this fact?
    Bob.
    Edit: I don't want to sound churlish, but there seems to be no good reason (apart from auto hyphenation of course) to upgrade, if you already have v.10 you can buy the latest P&GD for far less and suffer the loss of the auto hyphenation feature.
    Bob, Designer Pro includes everything from all of our products and a couple of extra features on top, including (which has already been mentioned) hyphenation, TIFF CMYK 16bit support, more import / export filters, more customization options, the panorama studio and a hosting package to name a few. Here is a comparison if you haven't seen it:

http://www.xara.com/designer-pro/compare/

So no it's not just "PGD plus hyphenation".

Just to let you know guys, Xara Photo & Graphic Designer is the perfect software choice for all your photo and graphic design work, however won't include a lot of the features in the Web designer series especially the new features such as sticky/stretchy, brand new animation effects, and the access to Xara-online, or some of the Page and layout Features? There's actually a lot of features in Designer Pro 11 that aren't included in Photo and graphic designer?

For a proper in depth analysis of all the features for each product line, see our compare chart - http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/compare/

I think Bob's point was that, yes there are a whole lot of features in pro version that are not in the others, but not many that are both new this time round and exclusive to pro

Congratulations to all Xara users with the long-awaited release.
    Thanks to the Xara's development team for the good work.

I purchased the upgrade and within an hour, I explored new opportunities.

What I liked:

Improved AI, EPS import - very good.
    New types of transparency - very useful.
    Hyphenation - useful. Although the settings are not very usual. InDesign % settings are more flexible.
    Spiral is good.
    Liquify Shape may be useful.

Disappointment:

I was hoping that created from vector shapes art brush will vector. But. When line converted to shape I get a 192dpi bitmap. Why 192dpi? Why bitmap?
    One can use bitmap traser. But it's not a clean work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	art brush.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	109054

PSD with CMYK/16bit import does not function("Only uncompressed data or RLE compression is supported"). What is it?
    CMYK/8bit is no problem. But what I need it, if I can not export CMYK PSD back?

Unfulfilled expectations:

Still no CMYK PSD export.
    CMYK transparency is still not supported.
    Mold tool is not suitable for bitmap manipulations.
    No vector fills.
    Repelling was still an amateur level (text must be above the images).
    Typography support is still weak.
    Lack of color management.
    Weak support of standard file formats(AI,EPS,PSD).
    And bit more...

My personal conclusion:

For $ 118 I got a couple of useful things and some nice updates.

And finely. Now I can make a web site with a bunch of spinning, jumping, running, inverting and flashing buttons. Cool!