Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Art

Default Hospital Art

Between the pain killers and abject boredom while I was in hospital in late Spring, I did a lot of "cocktail napkin doodles".

Here's one of several; I though a member or two would pick up on one of these basic shape designs and turn it into Art.

Or a better cocktail napkin doodle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cocktail-napkin-doodle-01.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	109027

My Best,

Gary

Default Re: Hospital Art

Gare, a tad worried about your heart left-second row.

Is a cocktail napkin a serviette? i.e., paper rather than linen?
    If not, your hospitals are better than in the UK.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acorn, I'm sorry that I used a euphemism instead of explaining what I used! "Cocktail napkin doodle" in the USA usually means a physical roughed-out idea that needs refining and re-rendering on a better surface than the foolscap you originally drawn stuff on. A lot of time, American businessmen discuss future plans over drinks, where the napkins can be drawn on and are made of processed paper (see following).

No, we have paper napkins for picnics (holiday), disposable, processed to feel soft, and we have linen for formal occasions such as your boss coming over for dinner and berating you in front of your spouse.

I had, precisely, a ruled composition book in hospital and a blue fat tip (1.0mm or greater) blue gel pen, best used for signing off on hospital paperwork.

BTW, I was totally unaware that this icon you pointed out looked like a valved heart. Took me a moment to realize!

My Best,

Gary

Gare, thanks for the heads-up. We use "back of the fag packet calculations (Enrico Fermi)" for rough ideas and I assume this will have vastly different connotations over in the States. "Two countries separated by a common language (George Bernard Shaw)". I've tried to add in where I think the quotes come from.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

George Bernard Shaw was one funny dude.

I think with all the attention paid to Equal Rights for LGBT in the US, we no longer use the non-PC term to which you allude, Acorn. In fact, out of mind, out of sight.

Doesn't the back of a cigarette pack have text and colour and all that on it? Wouldn't a napkin work better?

What do you folks use as a pen on the back of a fag pack?

-g

Gare, never smoked but I assume one tears open the packet and write on the inside.

I have used a chinagraph (wax) propelling pen onto a polythene map cover in the rain.
    Worked on glass too.

Acorn

Bad week for Gary's it seems. Hope we all recuperate swiftly.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Gare, never smoked but I assume one tears open the packet and write on the inside.

I have used a chinagraph (wax) propelling pen onto a polythene map cover in the rain.
    Worked on glass too.

Acorn
    Aha! The more things are different, the more they're the same. I use what we call "China markers", also called grease pencils, and indeed they are waterproof but a little on the wide side. There are some gel pens that will take abuse from abrasive surfaces, and proud to say that for a 36 year old smoker, I quit almost ten years ago and never regretted it. So if I'm to emulate you, I'd have to bum a cigarette pack from a stranger, a positively filthy proposition! :)

-g

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Bad week for Gary's it seems. Hope we all recuperate swiftly.
    What ails you, oG? I didn't even realize you were sick.

It's been a marathon, not a bad week for me, more like a Bad Summer. Broken leg, then kidney stones then sepsis, which obliges me to take golfballs disguised as antibiotics, for the next 12 days.

Urinating has never been such an adventure.

-g

That's the pretty photo. 7 stitches in my hand, and multiple cuts and abrasions from tripping and falling down on my morning walk. My mouse hand still works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	not pretty.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	109034