Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Working on developing backgrounds

Ron, Here is a follow-up to my post in your other thread. The picture that you did is more like the image that I posted where the car is not the focal point. The background becomes part of the image. Your eye is looking at the entire image. Now with the other picture I posted, the car is the focal point and takes up two thirds of the image. The background does not mater. In fact, many artist will choose to use depth of field and blur the background so the background doesn't take away from the focal point. So when your doing an image, think about if the car or the entire image is the focal point. I hope this helps.

I'm certainly not an expert and I brake a lot of rules myself. I know where your coming, I get self-conscious of my artwork too.

You do such great work Ron.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	108972   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	108973  

Click image for larger version. 

Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	108974  

Thanks Paul. That explanation does help.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Sorry Ron, I had been working on a reply earlier on my iPad but didn't get it finished.

I agree completely with what Paul said in his post. You have two choices either make the entire image stand on it's own or feature what you consider the most important element.

Your car drawings are so good that they can stand on their own and need no background. I really like what you are doing now however, they are masterful digital paintings and you are telling a story not just renderings a car. At least that's the way I see it.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You have been given good advice by all who posted here, but it does take time to assimilate that and really come to terms with it. for what it's worth I have never heard of the golden triangle either, golden rectangle yes.

Not that this has anything to do with what you are doing but...when I was delineating the buildings I painted had to stand first and foremost as a complete image. In that I would force a focal point, which would in no way detract from the main painting but add to it. When I started oil painting things changed. I was free to find my own way and learned to lead the eye. I did it in delineations too but I did it differently, well maybe not so much different I still used stops but pointers not so much.

While I was a good painter, I am not so good at computer paintings. Not nearly as good as some of you guys.

Keep up the good work Ron. You are a champion.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Youre a great guy Larry. Thanks.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer