Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Working on developing backgrounds

As I mentioned in another post, I'm trying to focus on developing a few backgrounds that with maybe minor adjustments, I can use to place most of my truck, motorcycle and car drawings in as this has been a suggestion by a number of members over the years.
    This is a start, but obviously I have a long ways to go before I figure out what will work well as backgrounds with most of my drawings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1950ford.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	108924  
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Working on developing backgrounds

Ron - I feel the backgrounds take away from the cars. You don't need them, in my opinion.

Gary,
    I really appreciate that comment!
    This has been bothering me for a long time. My personal opinion is like yours, but not being an artist I'm heavily influenced by the observations of others. I have always felt that putting the cars in a scene robs the image I want to share of its focus. In a scene, it becomes just part of the many. I know in art you can make objects the center of focus, but in the case of this subject matter and my purpose for drawing the vehicles, I think, gets lost.
    Well, I don't know how to express it. I don't think I'm saying exactly what I mean. But I do appreciate observations and critiquing because it helps me to learn and grow, albeit slowly.
    I have a lot to learn.
    Now, I have done some drawings where I put one of my cars in a picture where the car was MEANT to be just a part of the overall drawing to make add to the fullness of the general scene, i.e. the drawing I did entitled "The Apothecary".
    I guess when all is said and done, my drawing should represent what I want to convey. And in many cases, it's simply the beauty, variety and design of vehicles from all over the world throughout the decades.
    MAN, I'm rambling.

Xara's Facebook

Ron. Personally I think your car artwork can stand alone. I enjoy all the cars that you post. I do understand what your talking about regarding the background. I too look for something to display my artwork. I'm currently working on something now similar to what you're talking about but limits the angle of the cars being displayed. I like what to did with the image above, but I thing the fence is the distraction and pulls my eye away from the car. You may want to try it without the fence to see if it works better. just a thought. I may have some other ideas to help display your work. Let me look through some of my old car club stuff. Just an idea. Car hops are fun and you can display your cars in different angles the parking lot. Don't forget the girls on roller-skates and the food trays in the window. Old gas stations work too.

Paul
    Last edited by Psaumure; 14 July 2015 at 09:29 PM.

Thanks Paul. Thats very encouraging and some very good ideas for scenes that can include a car or two. Certainly would be a truck load of work, thats for sure.

Xara's Facebook

There are some art rules that help make an image more pleasing. Everything from, I'll use the term canvas size or dimensions to the rule of thirds, golden triangle, triangle, and golden spiral. These rules are followed in both art and photography and are well proven. Just something to think about when making a complete illustration. They've been used through time in art.

Thanks Gray. I'll do some research.

Xara's Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    Thanks Paul. Thats very encouraging and some very good ideas for scenes that can include a car or two. Certainly would be a truck load of work, thats for sure.
    Here are a few pictures I took back in early 2000 when I was part of a car club. The garage in pic one and tow would not be that big of a project. black out the windows and add some reflection. Add Texaco, Shell or your favorite gas station sign. Gas pump and you're good to go. The garage in pic three is in the back yard of on of the club members house. I realize that these photos are quite busy but you can take some simple elements out to create your own background.

I hope this helps,

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car 1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	108929   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car 2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	108930  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car 3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	108931   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Car 4.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	108932  

Last edited by Psaumure; 15 July 2015 at 02:37 AM.

Paul: Thanks. A good suggestion. In fact I've done a drawing of a 1930s gas station with one of my cars AND a motorcycle. Can't remember if I posted it or not.

Gray: I did a little research on your above suggestions and I think it will be a real help. The rule of thirds is simple enough, but I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle the golden triangle yet. There are some videos on Youtube on how to do it using PS and Adobe, but it's a little intimidating for me right now. I guess too much to think about for someone slow of mind. Maybe in the future I'll attempt that approach. Thanks again.

Xara's Facebook

Your welcome Ron. I look forward to seeing your work.

Yes, the rules of thirds and all the other rules can be overwhelming. I haven't even heard of the Golden triangle. Lots to learn... Thanks Gray for the information.

Paul
    Last edited by Psaumure; 15 July 2015 at 09:06 PM.