Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PDF export issue

Can anybody figure out an easy solution to exporting the attached file as PDF? It loses a bunch of lines when I do so. I've verified the results in Designer Pro 10 and the trial version of 11. I've also submitted a ticket.

Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: PDF export issue

CAD drawings?

I was flabbergasted with the pdf export.

We tried doing house floor plan clean ups but the resultant export to pdf from Xara was nil. Almost nil.

Seems to import OK; even though for relatively small drawings and tiny pdf's Xara really found them heavy. I suppose that would be the hatches being exploded

Hi David - well I can tell you what the problem probably is, you have 'lines' set at 0pt, you may well know this is not really a 'proper' line size [that would be 'none'] but a special print setting that does not appear to render when you export to pdf

you can 'fix' by selecting everything and changing line weight to '1pt' - it will then export, but what effect that will have on accuracy if it is a tech drawing I can't say

might be worth looking at source import file ?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    is, you have 'lines' set at 0pt, you may well know this is not really a 'proper' line size [that would be 'none'] but a special print setting that does not appear to render when you export to pdf

you can 'fix' by selecting everything and changing line weight to '1pt' - it will then export, but what effect that will have on accuracy if it is a tech drawing I can't say

might be worth looking at source import file ?
    yep just did some testing.

all imported entities are "0 thickness". this makes sense of the export problems.

i am interested in further discovery regarding this.

seems Xara does not like CAD pdf files at all. program is unresponsive.

once it stabilizes the first command, like check this thickness, is un-stabilizing.

becoming unusable again

Thanks, Handdrawn. That is a workaround, but looking at the source PDF is not an option because many drafting programs put these out, and they are industry-wide. If they print with Adobe, they should print and export in Xara.

I had this problem all the time with SolidWorks and still have. Like you David I scratch my head for about 20 minutes before I noticed it in fact I took into Illy to try and solve it and it was there I spotted the problem.
    Design is thinking made visual.

I'm pretty certain this is some other drafting program that our customer is using, although I also have SolidWorks experience. I have been even more perplexed, because I have seen several PDFs where I had to break shapes, _then_ it would print all the lines, or at least more of them. So Xara (and yes, those pedantics who will insist on the proper name, I know I am misusing it, but their new naming scheme sucks) has issues with PDFs that need addressed.

+1

Did I read that pdf improvements have been added to the 2015 releases?

Yes, but not in this functionality. Hopefully they take my feedback in the next service pack, although I'm not holding my breath. I would upgrade if they did so...

I think it could be an option for Xara to check line widths on import, and if 0 set them to be 1.

This comes up repeatedly.