Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shiny Glass

Default Shiny Glass

Here is a shiny glass piece that I put together. I have even add one with a translucent ball to create more of a glass ball effect. Which one do you think looks best? I know that some of you like to check out the wireframe, so I also include one for you.

I have a question regarding the shadow. To me, the glass figure looks like it's floating. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the correct shadowing for this piece?

Thanks

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glass Ball 2.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	108631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glass Ball.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	108633  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glass Ball Wire.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	108632  

Default Re: Shiny Glass

Overall I like the one with the transparent ball better but I would imagine that due to refraction lines of the stand would be somewhat deformed. Smashing design though!

You make it look so easy and effortless. Very impressive image.

Maybe lower the object a little more to the ground.

And darken the green towards the bottom a bit more.

But it's just about perfect the way it is.

Thank you for the advice dutchim. The funny thing is I misread your post and thought you sed to add a green shape. A happy coincidence turned out for the best. Here is what it looks like.

Thank you Gary. I'm getting better with practice. I got the idea for making the ball transparent from your apple tutorial.

Thank you Boy. I made the ball transparent so you see through it. If i were to draw it, that's what I would do. Thank you for the good advice.

I like the advantages of using named colors. Xara is so cool.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glass Ball 3.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	108650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glass Ball 4.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	108652  

Last edited by Psaumure; 03 July 2015 at 11:21 PM.

Paul, that is absolutely unbelievable.

B E A U T I F U L - A Fantastic piece of art.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Wonderful ones again

Hi,
    I should have commented earlier but I’m a little bit of a slow starter.
    Absolute wonderful drawings. I admire the beauty of these things and of course all the hard work behind.
    Best regards
    Sven-Ingvar

Quote Originally Posted by Psaumure View Post
    Here is a shiny glass piece that I put together. I have even add one with a translucent ball to create more of a glass ball effect. Which one do you think looks best? I know that some of you like to check out the wireframe, so I also include one for you.

I have a question regarding the shadow. To me, the glass figure looks like it's floating. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the correct shadowing for this piece?

Thanks

Paul
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	for Paul.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	108689

Paul I’m not sure what appears to be floating to you. Is it the red ball or the green base?

In an effort to be helpful I tried to deal with the problem as you can see.
    the reflection on the red ball bothered me a bit so I darkened it so it is darkest where it touches
    the green base on the right side. Then there is another reflection that I darkened at the top.
    There is also an area on the green base that touches the ball on the left that I also darkened
    just a bit.
    The most prominent alteration was where the base touches the floor, I tried to make the base
    rest firmly on the (floor?) I doubt that I did it as well as you would have but I tried.

Anyway you asked, so there are a couple suggestions. Valad or not it is for you to decide.

I am not comfortable making suggestions to you because I consider you so good, much better
    than I.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thank you everybody for your kind and supportive comments. It makes all the hard work worth it. I have enjoyed getting back into Xara and posting here on TG with all my friends that encourage me to do better.

Wizard, thank you for the shading tips. I had increase the shadow at the bottom of the ball but removed it because of the light coming in from the back. Seeing it again, it works. As does darkening the bottom. Thank you for taking the time to do that for me. I appreciated the help and suggestions.

Paul